We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Grand a la carte dinner reservations

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Question about Grand a la carte dinner reservations

Hi all-

I've been doing lots and lots of research for next year's trip and am trying to convince DH that IB Grand is the way to go. Was asking him about the reservation issue (he normally only likes places where we don't need reservations). He said he'd be ok with having to make reservations IF there wasn't a problem getting them within a half hour or 45 minutes of when we wanted to eat. I'm torn because some of the reviews have made it sound like getting reservations can be quite difficult. We would probably go the equivalent of shoulder season.

Thanks all so much for your help. I've been reading lots of posts on the forum and you all have been a huge help!

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Grand a la carte dinner reservations

Reservation times are 6:30, 7, 8:30 & 9. I've personally never had trouble getting reservations at times I wanted, but sometimes I had to be flexible about which restaurant we ate at. But I always say, if this is a big deal, the Grand is probably not a good choice. However, just because a place doesn't require reservations doesn't mean you can eat when you want. If a restaurant is full, they give you a beeper and you might end up waiting an hour.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Grand a la carte dinner reservations

Hi Chloesmom

The way I read your post I thought you meant you would only want to make a reservation half an hour before you want to eat. If that's right then I think you might find that difficult. People generally book a few days in advance or at least on the morning. Trying to make reservations at the last minute you are likely not to be able to get the restaurant you want.

Beth

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Grand a la carte dinner reservations

Actran- thanks. First, I love your blog. Second, those are the greatest shoes! Quick question- have you heard of any one NOT being able to eat in the a la cartes and having to eat in the buffets during the week?

Beth- Oh no. He meant that if we wanted to eat around 8, if we couldn't get a table at 8 he would want to be able to get one at 7:30 or 8:30 or so as opposed to in NYC which is what we're kinds used to where if you don't make reservations early enough you get the 5:30 or 10pm spots. I didn't realize that they had specific seatings. The 7, 8:30 or 9 would be fine. The 6:30 might be a bit early but hey, that just means we wake up earlier to lie by the pool the next morning! I just have to convince him that making reservations ahead of time doesn't take away from him deciding to take last minute naps after the beach :-)

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Grand a la carte dinner reservations

Thanks!

I have read of people not being able to get reservations at an ala carte, but several have made reservations at a Lindo or Maya restaurant. Or you could order room service. The last time I was there, I arrived on Wednesday and they wouldn't take a res for dinner ahead of time. However when I arrived they said all the ala cartes were open and we were able to get a res where and when we wanted.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
54 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Grand a la carte dinner reservations

I just returned and the reservation system can work if they have all the restaurants open. We were allowed to make 4 reservations before arrival, 1 at each restaurant. We also received an email listing the buffets that would be available each night. This left 3 nights we did not have reservations for.

Wednesday - planned to use buffet and it was then closed so we ordered room service.

Thursday - we made a reservation for the Italian that morning

Friday - tried to make a reservation but only one restaurant was open and they were booked. We were told the buffet was available. Went to buffet, it was not good.

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about Grand a la carte dinner reservations

Like others have said they do sometime close all the a la cartes, when we were there in December it was buffet only on Sun and Wed one week but the second week they didn't close any of them. You always have the option of room service or the restaurants at the other resorts. I don;t think they Grand should ever have all the a la cartes closed but that's just my opinion they seem to think differently ;)

The buffets were ok but not my favorite if I go again this year I'd try for reservations at one of the other resorts. Also sometimes they will tell you a certain night will be buffet only but then decide to open a restaurant so it pays to check again the morning of.

nik

Edited: 18 July 2011, 02:50
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about Grand a la carte dinner reservations

Does the concierge at the Grand know what's available at the other resorts? I don't have a problem eating at another resort, as long as I'm able to make a reservation ahead of time.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about Grand a la carte dinner reservations

We scheduled a meal at the Maya on a Grand buffet night. Our concierge called the Maya and talked to them about the reservation (I don't recall if it was just regarding availability-- they were speaking Spanish ;-) ) We did get a reservation, and our concierge was able to print out the confirmation slip-- so it's possible the reservation was actually booked by the Maya over the phone, and our concierge just accessed the reservation system to print it.

UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about Grand a la carte dinner reservations

I guess its all a matter of taste and preference, but for me, having been to many Iberostars, I am quite happy at the buffet and enjoy the variety and choice, together with flexibility.

Of course, the a la carte's are also good but we have always been perfectly happy to alternate a la carte and buffet evenings.

I am due at the Grand at the end of October for the first time, having been to the Grand in DR in December last year. I am very much looking forward to our trip and also looking forward to visiting the a la carte's and the buffet.

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about Grand a la carte dinner reservations

I also enjoy the relaxed atmosphere at the buffet because we go for two weeks we get to eat in all the a la carte`s and the buffets and we will try the other a la cartes in the other hotels on the complex.

We also enjoyed the room service on ocasion.

Im sure you will have a great time at the Grand BoleynUk.