We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Towel game... Please tell me why?

Scotland
Level Contributor
579 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Towel game... Please tell me why?

Don't get it... Watch a guy putting towels on the beach at 5.30 this morning.. It was still dark???? Passed a half dozen more with towels while heading for the GC

I get of the golf course at 10-11am.. Still plenty of seats.

Nothing weirder than people...

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Towel game... Please tell me why?

One of the great things about the Grand is that it is not necessary to save a seat ever. There are plenty to go around and you can always find one in the shade somewhere. You don't get it because you are not the selfish kind!

We were at EPM in November and had to make sure we were at the beach right after breakfast to get a seat or we would not get one at all. I was not used to that after going to the Grand for a few years in a row.

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Towel game... Please tell me why?

The "Towel Game" is typically played by selfish, inconsiderate people. They feel they have more rights to something than other guests do. That's why they are up before the sun, "reserving THEIR furniture." It's foolish.

What's one of the first things our parents most likely taught us to do? Share. Yes, it's that simple.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Towel game... Please tell me why?

These are the same people who take a floatie and keep it under their chair when not using it.

While it is childish and selfish, IMO it is the resorts problem to solve yet most make it the guest's problem.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Towel game... Please tell me why?

I personally get up very early all the time, whether at home or on vacation. My husband does not get it :)

When I go put my towels out it is for 2 reasons:

1) I like to relax with coffee and a book as soon as the sun comes up until my family joins me. My favorite time to just relax with no one else around. My daily routine is normally stressful at home with a demading career...this is the ONE time a year I do what I want.

Many times it is still dark when I first head out (my husband hates it). Last year I promised to stay on the balcony until it got light out.

2) I like to find a spot that works for me and my family from day one and stick with it. Everyone knows where we are when coming down in the morning no looking around for us, we meet and then have breakfast.

Not everyone that puts towels out are selfish, I have met several people who have become great friends in the morning.

It is after all my vacation to and I think that I should also have the freedom to wake up and get moving as well as those who like to stay in bed. I'm here to see the sun come up and go down and enjoy all the warm weather I can. I live in Wisconsin!!!

Maybe now I have answered the question that some call the towel game :)

Edited: 05 January 2012, 13:06
wisconsin
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Towel game... Please tell me why?

Daveann

I also am a very early riser and my husband hates it. So I go down find a spot and read and drink my coffee also. I try to let him sleep as late as he wants as it is his vacation also. I have also had to promise to stay on the balcony until it is light out.

That quiet time is my favorite time of the day.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,775 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Towel game... Please tell me why?

I don't know that you can categorize everyone that saves chairs as selfish. Depending on the resort, I'll do it. I need shade and if I can't find a spot in the shade, I might as well sit in the room. To me, it is the resort's fault if they fail to provide enough shady spots.

Of course, people that save multiple spots or do it to secure prime spots are a pain but resorts can solve these problems if they really wanted to.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Towel game... Please tell me why?

Every single resort, high end or otherwise has multiple complaints on these boards and in reviews about chair saving and float hogging. Obviously the resorts cannot prevent people from putting their towels and stuff on chairs but they should post policies and enforce them if chairs are left empty for a period of time and remove the belongings. I think 2 hours is reasonable.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Towel game... Please tell me why?

"2) I like to find a spot that works for me and my family from day one and stick with it."

Do you save chairs for your family then when you go down early in the morning?

I am always up very early, and generally work out first then head back to my room to wake my husband so we can enjoy coffee together. I almost always see the chair hogs out and about to "save" their favorite spots. Personally, I think the resorts should have pool and beach butlers who remove items from chairs when they are saved and not used for a period of time. Some resorts we have been to do this and it is a much better system.

I do not feel that anyone is entitled to save a chair because they want a prime spot or the same spot each day. It is really not my concern that families or groups of friends want to all sit together so they send one person to save chairs, which then often remain unused for hours.

If people want dedicated chairs then they should IMO reserve rooms that have them at resorts that offer that.

Again, I feel it is up to the resort to set these policies and then enforce them consistently.

Also IMO 2 hours of having a chair sit unoccupied is far from reasonable.

Edited: 05 January 2012, 13:37
Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Towel game... Please tell me why?

I have no issues with people getting up early and reserving a spot.

I only have an issue if they don't show up for several hours afterwards.

Same is true throughout the day. If a person/family goes to lunch for a hour, there is no reason why they should surrender their spot.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Towel game... Please tell me why?

caviargal

"Do you save chairs for your family then when you go down early in the morning?" Yes, I do save a chair for my husband or occasionally my daughter when she joins us on vacation. Never had anyone come up and ask to sit next to me or if the chair is available. If my family does not come to the chair for a long period of time and I saw people looking for an extra chair, I have in the past offered them one of mine.

"It is really not my concern that families or groups of friends want to all sit together so they send one person to save chairs, which then often remain unused for hours."

I am assuming that when you find your seats at whatever time you chose, you do not put a towel down or move the entire day, because this wouldn't be considered the "towel game" because it is on your time.

I have never put towels down and not come back for hours, nor did I imply that I did...I agree this is a selfish thing to do. Just bringing to your attention that we are not all as selfish as you claim. I also have never put a floatie under my chair.

May you have a great vacation as I know that I will, reading my book and watching the sun rise.