We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Grand in June- Beach, Lunch, Wine & the Towel Game

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Iberostar Grand in June- Beach, Lunch, Wine & the Towel Game

Fiance and I are heading to Iberostar Grand for honeymoon in June. We have a few questions; would appreciate answers and advice.

1. How is the beach? Is the water often too choppy to go in?

2. How early do u have to get up to secure a couple chairs in the shade on the beach? I've heard the towel game is often in effect.

3. Are the al a carte restaurants open for lunch or only dinner?

4. What's the deal with reserving a beach cabana? How much does it cost? How far in advance can u reserve ?

5. Any suggestions for restaurants, things not to be missed, and stuff to do at the other Iberostar resorts in the area?

6. Anyone have a current copy of the wine list or know where I could find it online?

I appreciate any responses! Thanks!

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Grand in June- Beach, Lunch, Wine & the Towel Game

1. Beach is good. Water is usually fine to go in. Of course depending on weather and whatnot, it can be rough.

2. We don't get up early to get seats on the beach. There are usually plenty.

3. Ala cartes are only open for dinner. Las Brisa and Bella Vista are open for lunch. Las Brisa has a buffet and an ala carte menu you can order off of. Bella Vista has been both a buffet and an ala carte at different times (I've been 8 times). They also will often have buffets/cooking outside with themes.

4. Cabanas are first come first serve at the pool. There is no cost. It's just chairs or a bed with a draped canopy. It's not like cabanas at high end hotels in the US.

5. Try all the restaurants. They are all different and good. Toni's Surf and Turf is a favorite. Email the hotel a couple weeks before your arrival to make reservations for the first few nights. Go to the shopping center for tacos and crepes (part of the all inclusive). You can use the wet areas of the if spa at the shopping center and the showers are quite nice and they have a variety of jacuzzis. The spa at the Grand is also quite nice. There is cake and coffee served by the pool every day around 5-5:30. There are a ton of activities but I prefer to just relax at the beach, so I'm not the best source for can't miss things to do. A lot of people like to check out the lazy river at the Lindo, but I don't feel it's worth the walk or the exposure to the noisy kids.

6. I have a blog with menus and a map. But the wine list is the old one. Everything else is up to date. I should get that updated. My blog is www.iberostarrocks.wordpress.com

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Grand in June- Beach, Lunch, Wine & the Towel Game

I do have hoots of the new wine list. It's either the October 2011 trip or the January 2012 that has them. I'll check and get back to you.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
433 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Grand in June- Beach, Lunch, Wine & the Towel Game

The beach is fine. We were just there and spent time in the water. The towel game was in full force at the pool, but the beach always had chairs and shade. The cabanas are free, but first come, first serve basis.

The only breakfast open was buffet, but offered a menu for special ala carte breakfast items. Just ask for the menu. Also, they will make special orders on request.

We enjoyed all of the restaurants. Lots of people complained about the Gourmet, but it was our best meal. (Pheasant appetizer, filet, duck breast) Tony's is very good. My husband's favorite is the Italian.

Be sure to walk through the other resorts. They are beautiful. We always enjoy taking a lazy river ride at the Lindo. You will really appreciate the Grand after seeing all of the kids at the other resorts. The Grand offers a bike tour each morning, which is fun. There are activities throughout the day like beach and pool volleyball, yoga, salsa dancing, wine tasting, Spanish lessons and more.

Be sure to check out the indoor pool and spa at the Grand. It is very nice.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Grand in June- Beach, Lunch, Wine & the Towel Game

I think whether the water is good to swim in depends on the individual. It was too rough for me when we stayed there and I had to stick to the pools. And we walked past a few times last month and red flags were up whereas our resort had water like glass.

I am not a strong swimmer and never get in the ocean in the hotel zone or the area where Iberostar is located. My husband loves the waves but I am a wimp.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Grand in June- Beach, Lunch, Wine & the Towel Game

The Grand is a perfect place for a honeymoon! You will love it. Just to add something else....on the room service we make sure to order chips and guac, the avacado and prawn's, and the chocolate cake. Those are our favorite items on the room service menu.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Grand in June- Beach, Lunch, Wine & the Towel Game

Thank you for all of your responses. Two follow up questions:

1) Are there cabanas with shade on the beach? If not, are there umbrellas or only trees for shade?

2) Is there wi-fi in the rooms? I think we have an ocean-front suite, but are hoping to upgrade when we get there. If no wi-fi the room, is there wi-fi anywhere at resort? Where?

Thanks for your responses!

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Grand in June- Beach, Lunch, Wine & the Towel Game

There are a whole bunch of little huts (for the life of me I cannot come up with a better word, sorry) on the beach in front of the 2 oceanfront buildings. Each hut has 2 loungers under them, as well as I believe there is a little table. On our 2 trips to the Grand we never had a problem finding 2 free loungers.

Not sure about wifi but would like to know as well since our next trip is our first one since having children.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,630 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Grand in June- Beach, Lunch, Wine & the Towel Game

Texas,

Those would be palapas.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Grand in June- Beach, Lunch, Wine & the Towel Game

Palapas! Yes, thank you schmerl!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
720 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Grand in June- Beach, Lunch, Wine & the Towel Game

There is no WiFi in your room but you can connect to the internet for free in the room if you have a device with an ethernet cable (we brought a netbook and connected with no difficulty). There is free WiFi in the lobby bar area - not sure if this is the only location that has WiFi or not...hopefully someone else will know and chime in.

Edited: 11 May 2012, 21:39