We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from the Grand

Dallas
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from the Grand

We just got back from the Grand after spendng a wonderful 4 nights there. Loved everything. Will post a review soon. Let me know if you have any questions. We were 4 travelling in our 40's, have been to Mexico 12 times now and this my favorite so far :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from the Grand

Happy to hear you enjoyed the Grand and had a good vacation in Mexico...............

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from the Grand

Glad you loved the Grand!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from the Grand

What other resorts have you visited?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from the Grand

We will be at the Grand in less than a month for our honeymoon. Who was your butler? How were they? What kind of stuff does the butler do?

How hard was it to get a spot in the shade on the beach? Did you have to get down there pretty early?

What was your favorite restaurant?

Any advice on things not to miss, see or do?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from the Grand

bump

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from the Grand

I dont have exact answers to your questions Mr S but I will warn you against getting your hopes up about butler service. Some of the butlers, you have probably seen mentioned on this board are amazing and helpful and people love them....however, you may have noticed good butler service is hit or miss at the Grand. Its a great thought, but sometimes people are dissapointed that their butler didnt provide all of the services advertised. You may not be expecting that kind of service, but I just wanted to mention it. With that said, we have been to the Grand twice, and are returning again this summer. The first trip was our honeymoon and I will say that I couldnt think of a better resort for a honeymoon.

And, if you ever need anything and your butler isnt around, there will be a desk in your building and you can go there and ask the person manning the desk for any request. There are also buttons on the phone (if i remember correctly) that call room service as well as your butler. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on that. So my point is, that even if your butler isnt visible to you and asking if you need anything, you can always find a helpful employee to help with a request.

Hope you and your new wife have a wonderful honeymoon.

jersey
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from the Grand

Mr S. it might be easier if you let us know what your expectations are regarding butler service.. Then perhaps we can let you know what or what not to expect

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from the Grand

Texas - you are correct about the room service button on the phone. LOVED that! I keep looking for it on my phone at home and just can't find it.

There is also a concierge button.

There revs lt of people there who want to make sure you have a great time. The butler us only one of them.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from the Grand

Don't have any expectations--I was just wondering what sort of requests people typically ask of the butler. The original poster of the thread offered to answer any questions and, b/c I've never stayed at a resort that offers butler service, I was just wondering what the butlers do?

I would guess they would bring food/drinks if requested... but isn't that what room service is for? Or make dinner reservations... but isn't that what the concierge is for?

Guess I'm just kind of confused as to what the butler does that room service, concierge or maids wouldn't do already?

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from the Grand

Mr. S, we're all confused about butler service, lol. I think it's gimmicky, but it's there, so if you need/want something, just ask. If they can do it, they will.

Items that you can ask them to do: press clothes, shine shoes, furnish you with your drink of choice (could be shots, could be bottles - who knows), draw a bubble bath for your significant other, make dinner reservations, make golf reservations, have a golf cart ready for you... that's all I have. Maybe others can chime in. These are just items that we've requested. The only time it didn't work, was on our first trip, where our butler was non-existent.

Bottom line, each and every of these things can also be accomplished by your building's concierge.

IMO, I think most people will agree that Toni's is their favorite restaurant. And getting a palapa or a pool chaise is hit or miss. I've been there when there was no towel game going on (my first two October trips) and when it was fierce (my last November trip). Track down a beach butler if you need help at the beach.

Edited: 07 June 2012, 15:25