We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do/see in Playa Del Carmen

New Richmond, Ohio
Level Contributor
184 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Must do/see in Playa Del Carmen

I have been to Cancun and Riviera Maya over 20 times and have visited most villages from Cancun to Tulum. I tend to like a small village feel rather than a commercial touristy town. So, not surprisingly, I've never visited Playa Del Carmen and the famous 5th Avenue. However, I would really like to spend a day there on this upcoming trip the end of October. What are some of the Must Dos or Sees? Eats, Drinks, Clubs, Beach area? Thanks in Advance.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do/see in Playa Del Carmen

We enjoyed 5th Ave most either very early morning or after dark , just people watching and enjoying a cold beer at a street cafe.

Mornings are a whole different vibe than the pushy sales you will see midday.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do/see in Playa Del Carmen

I would plan to spend a nice late afternoon into night there. Walk the streets, shop, browse, check out the galleries and beach too. The night really lights up with promenading and the area is quite decorated and well, pretty. Have a nice dinner. Plenty of places to relax, dine, lounge, drink, and explore on foot. Wear comfortable shoes :)

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,899 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do/see in Playa Del Carmen

Since the ferry is feet away from 5th avenue, I would take the ferry to Cozumel. The shopping is similar but a nicer setting complete with cruise ships.

New Richmond, Ohio
Level Contributor
184 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do/see in Playa Del Carmen

where would you stop and drink a few beers? Where would you eat dinner? Any help appreciated.,.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do/see in Playa Del Carmen

this sounds like a job for super OT3! (a Playaxpert)

Edited: 27 September 2012, 20:54
Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,899 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must do/see in Playa Del Carmen

Here's a list of restaurants: http://www.gocozumel.com/restaurants/

Click links on left side for map. It's a small island, most things are within walking distance of the dock.

Newton-Le-Willows...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must do/see in Playa Del Carmen

hi

we are going to IB maya in a few weeks looking forward to it....is it safe walking around in Playa Del Carmen

Canada
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must do/see in Playa Del Carmen

You will see a lot of places to stop for food or drinks. Signs on the street will advertise a "bucket of beer" at various prices, mostly cheap :) Just stroll until the urge strikes you to stop. I suggest just sharing food or ordering small appetizers at many different places as opposed to one large meal.

New Richmond, Ohio
Level Contributor
184 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must do/see in Playa Del Carmen

awesome advise! Thanks everyone!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply