We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

Vancouver
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

Ive been searching out both these resorts and they seem to be almost on par with each other as far as reviews from travellers and price point.I'm torn between which one to choose .We are a upper 30's couple with no kids who enjoy the atmosphere of an all - adults resort, walks on the beach in the morning , lazing by the pool and hot tub at the end of the day , fine dining and meeting mature intelligent couples.We travelled to Bahamas Great Exuma last year and experienced the Sandals chain.I"m sure we would have a great time at both resorts but was curious if anyone who has experienced both could offer some incite.Thank you in advance for any advice.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,369 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

I doubt you'd go wrong with either, but I'd pick The Grand.............the service is second to none.........

Edmonton
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

I haven't been to the Iberostar, but having been to a several in the area including 2 of the secrets and a few "family" resorts, if I'm not travelling with kids, I would never stay anywhere but an adults only.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
341 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

Have been to both resorts more than once (see my reviews)......I agree with Eden7, the Grand is far superior. YES, Maroma beach is gorgeous but so is the beach at the Grand, especially in front of building #70.

ENJOY wherever you decide to go !!

:o)

Calgary
Level Contributor
651 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

If you golf pick the Grand. They are both great resorts and I highly recommend them both. If the price is the same for both I would go to the Grand. Have a great time.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

The beach in front of SMB is one of the 10 most beautiful in the world according to the travel channel. All I know is that the water is crystal clear, almost always fairly calm and a beautiful blue. There are no wrist bands at SMB and no reservations needed for meals.

I have never been to the Grand but we did walk up and go by it. The beach looked very nice but some areas of the water in front of the Grand looked rocky. The one thing that really puts me off of the Grand is the reservations needed for the alacart restaurants and the fact that some posters recommend that you email and make the reservations before you arrive. I also read some reviews where individuals were unable to get reservations and had to use the buffet. -- Don't know how frequent this is or how true. Reservations simply aren't my favorite thing to do on vaca and I got very spoiled at SMB.

We are seriously looking at Excellance Playa Mujeres. Looks super nice too.

Toronto
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

I’m with you about reservations…it’s the reason we haven’t booked sooner. I don’t wear a watch when I’m home and really not looking forward to having to keep an eye on the time to keep our reservations. We needed a change from the Excellence, after many years of the same menus, entertainment and ambiance, it was time. Count down is on and I guess there is always the buffet if we can keep time : )

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

I've been to both of these resorts THIS year. Much prefer the Grand; wasn't too impressed with Secrets, apart from the beach. Please read my reviews for more info. Cheers! Mags

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

Haven't been to the Grand in MX, only Jamaica. We were able to do both Secrets Maroma Beach this year and Iberostar Grand. I have reviews on both. Food wise I would say IBG had an edge. Nightly entertainment and open lobby bar with nightly music was way better at SMB. Staff was über friendly at the Grand in Jamaica. Resort hosted events for the entire resort overall better at SMB too. Loved both but to me it's like apples to oranges.

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

>>Loved both but to me it's like apples to oranges.<<

I think resorts in Mexico versus in Jamaica are apples to oranges even when they're in the same chain.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

I realize that which is why I typed that however the menu/restaurants are very similar as well as activities as it is an Iberostar branding.