We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

Vancouver
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

Ive been searching out both these resorts and they seem to be almost on par with each other as far as reviews from travellers and price point.I'm torn between which one to choose .We are a upper 30's couple with no kids who enjoy the atmosphere of an all - adults resort, walks on the beach in the morning , lazing by the pool and hot tub at the end of the day , fine dining and meeting mature intelligent couples.We travelled to Bahamas Great Exuma last year and experienced the Sandals chain.I"m sure we would have a great time at both resorts but was curious if anyone who has experienced both could offer some incite.Thank you in advance for any advice.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

Secret box for private room service delivery. You have a door in the room where you can unlock and your room service is left in there. You can also put dirty dishes in there that is picked up. It is locked from the hallway so only the staff can unlock and deliver. No need to answer the door!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

Excellence Riviera had that too.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Level Contributor
749 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

We have been to both and given the choice we would choose the Grand! The palapas on the beach at SMB are very close together with 4 chairs under each., the Grand has much more space between palapas. The Grand will deliver bottles of champagne to you on the beach or even in your room. SMB will not do that. We visited SMB when it was only open for a few months but what disappointed us the most was the corporate groups that were there, it changed the vibe from romantic to party, not what we were looking for. I have posted reviews on both properties.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

Ha! I just read this thread. I do compare SMB and the Grand in the SMB review, and I think I review several in the Royal Hideaway Review (or maybe the Le Blanc one).

My vote: The Grand.

I actually thought the secret box at SMB and Excellence was gross. With us in both places they left the food remnants and dishes for a couple of days.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

<I actually thought the secret box at SMB and Excellence was gross. With us in both places they left the food remnants and dishes for a couple of days.>

We had the same experience and ended up just putting dishes outside the door, where at least they would be picked up eventually

After spending time at SMB on several occasions, we still have not be able to muster up any interest in staying there; and we would not return to The Grand. The rooms and beach service were highlights of our stay but food and service elsewhere disappointed. It has been a few years but we have never been interested in a return trip.

Also, the dinner reservation system is a hassle, IMO. We don't mind making dinner reservations on vacation as long as can get the time (within a range ) we prefer and not be forced to have dinner at 6 or 9 because nothing else is left, even though the restaurants are half full when you stop by. And we do not enjoy buffet dining, period, esp. at those prices.

If these were my only two options, I would go with SMB for the beach and the no reservations for dinner.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

They both are good resorts, I think you would enjoy either one.

27. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel or Secrets Maroma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 12:17