We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wrist bands, really?? Removable???

New Hampshire
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wrist bands, really?? Removable???

We have stayed at SMB and Excellence Playa Mujeres, both times in early May. Neither place required wrist bands or reservations for dinner. We have booked an early May trip to the Iberostar Grand and am shocked to read they require wrist bands, (Obviously missed that when doing my research)....do they require you wear them the entire time or are they removable at night? Call me a baby but that thing is going to drive me crazy!!!

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wrist bands, really?? Removable???

Usually if a hotel requires a wristband you have to wear it the duration of your stay. The only AI that I have ever stayed at was that way. If you lost it you were charged for another one. If it broke you could go back to the front desk for a replacement.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,561 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wrist bands, really?? Removable???

They are strapped on for life (I mean the week)

Most AI resorts have these - you were fortunate in the past

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wrist bands, really?? Removable???

very easy to make removable,, ive been doing it for years with velcro

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wrist bands, really?? Removable???

They will make it as tight or loose as you want. I personally prefer it tight. I don't notice it then.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wrist bands, really?? Removable???

Put jewellery like a bangle or bracelet over it at night and you will notice it less.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wrist bands, really?? Removable???

There are so many wonderful things about the Grand once you are there I bet you hardly notice your wrist band. I have tried it both ways, loose and tight and on our last trip I had her put it on tight and as Actran said its hardly noticeable.

I will be interested to hear how the 3 resorts compare to each other once you return from your Grand trip.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wrist bands, really?? Removable???

I agree with preferring to not wear wristbands, but depending on where you stay it sometimes makes sense. Since the Grand is part of a larger complex and Grand guests are allowed to go to the other 4 resorts but the reverse is not true, they need to be able to identify the guest's "home resort". I've always stayed places without wristbands previously but am looking so forward to the Grand that I don't think they will bother me.

Thanks for the advice on the tightness of the wristbands- when I read that tighter was better it made complete sense to me but I'm not sure I would have thought of that we got there. Thank you!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,621 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wrist bands, really?? Removable???

If you typically wear a watch during the day, you can have them attach it to your watch, very small loop. That way you can take your watch off at night along with your wristband.

With the Grand being part of a huge complex, that's the only way to differentiate which guests belong to which resort.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,808 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wrist bands, really?? Removable???

AT home I always have a watch on my wrist anyway. On vacation....no watch so the wristband just takes its place. It's really no big deal.

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wrist bands, really?? Removable???

Part of being on vacation in MX for me is NOT wearing a watch. In fact, there is a ceremonial removal of the watch shortly after I get to my room.