We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun Shark Tank

New Hamburg, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun Shark Tank

My wife and I stayed at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro December 3rd to 14 2012 and loved it so much we decided to book another vacation but this time the Iberostar Grand Paraisio! We mostly vacation in Mexico "PV" and understand the shark tank at the PVU Airport.

It's been quite few years (12) that we have flown into Cancun so wondered if we could get some advice on the shark tank?

Tpal

PS. In researching the IGP I found a number of you were also on the Punta Cana Forum IGB!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun Shark Tank

Once you clear customs (red light/green light baggage check area), just walk outside. Simple as that.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun Shark Tank

What CO_Pilot said. The transportation companies are all outside, so the people trying to get your attention inside and calling out that they are transportation or need to see your papers or whatever it is they are syaing that particular day, just keep walking. Don't make eye contact and pretend they aren't there.

Chicago
Level Contributor
356 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun Shark Tank

I just did this for the first time and I warned my wife and kids to just walk. My wife told me to "go first" so I did... at one point I heard a woman on my left saying "Sir! Sir!". She could've been trying to tell me that my hair was on fire but I was having none of it. At one point, it sounded as if she were right behind me on the left yelling, "SIR!" and I just kept walking. As soon as we hit daylight, I saw a guy holding a sign with my name on it and we were gone. Just don't stop inside the tank and it's all good. I have friends who knew about the tank and still ended up in a line and waiting with another group for 15-20 minutes until they realized they were about to be body-snatched. Good luck.

waterloo ontario
Level Contributor
574 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun Shark Tank

my kids have been well trained to ignore and walk. We go straight outside find our USA Transfer guy and get going. No issue.

It's not really the shark tank people that annoy me but the luggage handler who first meets me and can only carry my bags 100 yards and wants money to do it. Again well trained kids and keep walking and we all have a death grip on our bags.

New Hamburg, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun Shark Tank

Thanks everyone - exactly the way we handle them in Vallarta but I thought I should check.

Tpal

texas
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun Shark Tank

The last two times it was not bad. In September we maybe had two people say something to us. Now try going to the clubs in Cancun or walking 5th avenue in Playa and they are on you like a piece of meat trying to sell something. The airport was a breeze compared to that.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,456 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun Shark Tank

They will try to tell you they are your transportation. Just pretend you can't hear a thing and keep walking!

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun Shark Tank

Talk to no one. Make eye contact with no one. I put my sunglasses on and walk quickly. Most of them don't even bother me. I think they are looking for people who don't quite know where they are going. Sometimes they try saying, "I must see your papers!" Or asking who your transportation is with. It's all BS.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,258 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun Shark Tank

I agree wholeheartedly..........don't make eye contact, and look like you know where your headed(straight out the door), and they won't bother you......as actran comments... , they're looking for people who don't quite know where they're going............I think that's a sure sign to them that you've not been there before and therefore don't' know the routine...............

Edited: 10 January 2013, 16:03
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun Shark Tank

I wholeheartedly agree to keep walking until you are outside looking for your transfer. But I've found that saying "no gracias" works as well as you keep walking. The folks at the airport are trying to make a living, albeit a small amount of the money made by the tour companies or timeshare businesses they represent. There's no doubt that they are persistent though.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 17:56