We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from the Grand!

Hanover, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Live from the Grand!

Arrived Friday for our 8th visit to the Grand. Great to be back. Towel game going stronger than ever, most beach chairs reserved by 6 am which is the earliest I ever remember. Ate at Gourmet last night. There is a new menu which is more extensive and food was really good! We have skipped it on some of our previous visits but with the new menu will definately return.

Alot of new concierge and butlers.

I asked about Maya and Lindo changes. The Lindo guests can no longer eat at Maya restaurants and in the near future will not be allowed in the "snake bar". The Maya poolside restaurant now has a daily breakfast and lunch buffet which also has alacarte menu.

Grand is 80 percent full right now but supposedly will be less by the middle of the week.

Service has been great and have already enjoyed Humberto's famous choc martinis!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,941 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live from the Grand!

Thanks for the updates. Not happy to hear about the changes with the Lindo/Maya!

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live from the Grand!

Thanks for the live thread can't wait to try the new menu's.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live from the Grand!

Have a great vacation

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live from the Grand!

AAARGGH! NOT the dreaded towel game! Guess I'll be taking my little portable beach umbrella(s).

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Live from the Grand!

Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to the new menus as well.

Kind of a shame about the impending loss of access to the snake bar, the restaurants aren't that big an issue since they seem to have provided the Lindo with its own alternatives and Lindo guests never had access to the Maya japanese or gourmet.

nik

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
192 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live from the Grand!

Can you take a picture of the new menu at the Gourmet? Post it or something. We have not gone there for two years because the menu was not to our liking, interested in seeing what they have changed. I hope they kept the pheasant appetizer, that was a great one. Thanks.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,612 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live from the Grand!

I love live from threads. Thanks for taking the time to post!

st. louis
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Live from the Grand!

emptynestin, it's always great to get updates from someone with their toes in the sand.

Does the Grand still provide insulated mugs in the room by the coffee maker? I always took mine down to the pool with me to keep my beer from getting warm.

Is Lobster Thermidor still on the Gourmet menu?

Hanover, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Live from the Grand!

Texas, you are welcome!

Granny, will try to take a picture and post but i do not remember seeing the pheasant appetizer...although I may have overlooked it.

From what I am told, people paying for the Maya were frustrated by not being able to get reservations at the restaurants and paying more for their rooms for almost equal amenities to those at the Lindo.

Both Lindo and Maya almost sold out now due to Mexican school vacation for 2 weeks.

Sooo crowded!

Saw the lunch ala carte menu at Maya poolside buffet...very similiar to LasBrisas at the Grand with lobster, fajitas, kobe beef burgers and a few other things.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live from the Grand!

Seems like Maya guests are getting the better part of the Lindo/Maya changes. So I go during off season the difference in prices is nominal. Let's hope that doesn't change.