We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from the Grand!

Hanover, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Live from the Grand!

Arrived Friday for our 8th visit to the Grand. Great to be back. Towel game going stronger than ever, most beach chairs reserved by 6 am which is the earliest I ever remember. Ate at Gourmet last night. There is a new menu which is more extensive and food was really good! We have skipped it on some of our previous visits but with the new menu will definately return.

Alot of new concierge and butlers.

I asked about Maya and Lindo changes. The Lindo guests can no longer eat at Maya restaurants and in the near future will not be allowed in the "snake bar". The Maya poolside restaurant now has a daily breakfast and lunch buffet which also has alacarte menu.

Grand is 80 percent full right now but supposedly will be less by the middle of the week.

Service has been great and have already enjoyed Humberto's famous choc martinis!

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Live from the Grand!

emptynestin - have a great time there! Give Humberto and Daniel hugs and kisses from me.

United States
Level Contributor
24 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Live from the Grand!

We just got back from the Grand, and the towel game was absolutely horrible---they really need to address this issue. We are early risers--had our breakfast and then always headed for the pool, usually by 8 am. There were reserved cabanas and chairs where people didn't show up until 2 pm or later. Some people were reserving 2 separate areas---a cabana with a bed and then 2 lounge chairs in the sun. Very frustrating. I was shocked the first day we went to the pool---didn't know we need to reserve that early in the morning.

The pheasant appetizer is no longer on the menu, but lobster thermidour is. We had our sever describe some of the dishes since we didn't have a clue what they were.

Hanover, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Live from the Grand!

Actran, have seen and spoken to Daniel and Humberto. Will give them hugs from you!

Both seem to be doing well and are happy although Daniel was stuck in the lobby bar today with no people and was quite bored.

Towel game is the worst ever, hoping as occupancy gets lower it will improve.

The beach at lindo/ maya is packed with people as is their pool area..have never seen it so busy!

Great visit with Victor today who is doing well. Charly was our butler today. Great guy and great butler!

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Live from the Grand!

emptynestin.....AGAIN you are at the Grand!!! I bet you are with the family.....pre wedding holiday?

Anyways glad to hear Victor is doing well!

Have a wonderful trip!

xo

Hanover, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Live from the Grand!

Thanks Ocean! Hmmm aren' t you heading on another vacation in 2 weeks??? Here just with Hubby this time.

You have a great trip to Grand Bavaro!

Delaware
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Live from the Grand!

emptnestin, Would you mind asking if the Grand has St. Germain at any of their bars? It's one of the only liqueurs my wife can seem to tolerate. Otherwise, she'll stick with iced tea or water unless we bring a bottle with us.

Hanover, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Live from the Grand!

Hammer

I will check tomorrow and let you know!

Guernsey, UK
Level Contributor
397 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Live from the Grand!

My sister got back from SMB and she said they deal with the towel game really well, zero tolerance! Last year we saw someone reserving loads of beds using the pool hut magazines, on the mags it says please return to towel hut, so I did!!

Emptynestin have you spoken to any of the staff about the towel game, maybe if more people complain they might do something about it

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Live from the Grand!

Its really disappointing to hear about the towel game at the Grand. In our 3 trips there we have never had a problem getting spots at the beach or pool, and we are not particularly early risers. We have traveled in August and September during low season but our first time at the Grand was in April and we had no problems. I see how there can be problems at the pool for sure as there does not seem like very many loungers around the main pool. The story that people are reserving spots both at the pool and beach is ridiculous. The resort needs to develop a procedure for sun beds left unattended for a certain period of time, but people also need to be respectful and not save chairs all over the place.

Hanover, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Live from the Grand!

The staff are fully aware that it is going on and that people are saving multiple chairs in different places. I don't know if they plan to address it but does not seem that way.

As i look out on beach today at 0630 there are not many chairs reserved so hopefully with less people here it will improve. The last 2 days at this time most chairs were taken.