We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a new resort...

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a new resort...

We have always stayed at both Excellence Resorts (R.Maya and P.Murjeres). After being repeat customers we where a little disappointed at EPM last year. I just didn't feel that a few things where right. I happened to be reading reviews and went to I.Playa Paraiso and was very impressed with reviews and pictures! Excellence resorts have been the only ones we have stayed at in Mexico. I was hoping someone could tell me a little about this resort! Do they try to push "time sharing"? We would do "ocean front" and we have always done Excellence club. Is there a high end and low end? Butlers, etc? I was confused by "all-inclusive" and "guaranteed at least 3 times/wk. Every resort is different and often it is confusing! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Chicago
Level Contributor
728 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a new resort...

There are 5 Iberostar hotels at Playa Paraisio. The Paraisio Beach and Del Mar share a pool and restaurants and are the least expensive. The big pool in the middle is really fun and there is a waterfall/structure at one end. I think you get 3 ala carte reservations per week when you stay there. The next step up is the Lindo. The Lindo shares most pools with the Maya and has a number of good restaurants. Guests at the Lindo are allowed to use the restaurants at the Paraisio Beach and Del Mar. A guest at the Lindo or Maya may eat at the ala cartes every night if they wish. The next step up is the Maya. The Maya guests are allowed to use all of the restaurants except the French restaurant at the Lindo (the Maya has its own.) There is also a bar exclusively for the Maya guests and 3 small "quiet pools" for the use of the Maya guests. The most expensive hotel is the Grand. It's really beautiful and I have heard, really luxurious; however, I have never stayed there. They do have butlers and I have heard that you get really pampered. Also included in the package is the use of the facilities at the shopping center across the street. There are some little places to get food there (included in the package) and lots of fairly overpriced souvenirs and jewelry. There is a spa there, and I have heard that they have some great treatments, but you pay for the services. The beaches are beautiful, but there is really no snorkeling there, just white sand. One thing we have noticed about all of the Iberostars (I don't know about the Grand), is that there is a lot of shade around the pools, which makes it far more pleasant for me. We like the buffets and think the food there is generally good (not gourmet, but good), except for Asian night at the buffet (awful).

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a new resort...

Iberostar Playa Paraiso is a complex of five hotels. The Grand is the top of the line, adults only and sounds like the be you are interested in.

There is no time share at Iberostar, so you won't hear about that on site at all. Every room, with few exceptions, are the same, just in a different location and with a different view. Ocean front have the best ocean views of almost anywhere (so I have heard, I've never done OF anywhere else). Every room has a butler. There is no class system like at Excellence. The service is outstanding. My next visit will be my 11th. You can eat at ala cartes every night, but they do require reservations. Some people complain about this, but for me personally it has never been an issue, but I am pretty flexible about where and when I eat.

I write a blog about the Iberostar resorts at Playa Paraiso, and have menus on my blog. The food is quite good, but food is subjective. I am pretty picky about food, but I know food is subjective.

I also have a map of the Grand, so ou can see how it is laid out.

Www.iberostarrocks.com

Feel free to ask any questions. This board has a wealth of information from many repeat Grand visitors.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,666 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a new resort...

To give you another idea, I was an Excellence fan until I visited Secrets. Now I am a Secrets slappy. Take a look at the three Secrets properties if you are so inclined...I think you may enjoy them.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,947 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a new resort...

Do you want to go outside of the Playa Paraiso area

100s of miles of coastline / 2 islands (Isla)

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a new resort...

I would like to thank everyone for such a quick response! I really appreciate all the information and I will be going over everything! Love the website! If I have more questions (I know I will) I will ask! Again, thank you all for all your help!

Delaware
Level Contributor
815 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a new resort...

If you are thinking Secrets, I would recommend Maroma Beach. The Capri was Very disappointing. I've also stayed at Excellence properties. Don't forget about El Dorado resorts either, also very nice with great food!

7. Re: Looking for a new resort...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 06:18