We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats with the negative reviews for the Grand??

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
431 posts
Save Topic
Whats with the negative reviews for the Grand??

I really don't get it...... Seriously this has to be one of the best AI I have ever been to!!!! And I've been to many.. Silly comments are complaning thats it's not "Mexican" enough... SMH

Can't wait to go back in June!

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Whats with the negative reviews for the Grand??

A little bit of research would reveal that there is no Mexican restaurant at this hotel.

For all the people that complain that it is not "Mexican" enough, I would like to see a picture of what a "Mexican enough" hotel looks like. And if they want Mayan, a walk through the courtyards of the Maya next door and through the lobby should certainly fill that desire.

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
431 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Whats with the negative reviews for the Grand??

ReviewerMaryland, I agree one can have a fantastic vacation at a cheaper resort... But in this case to make a negative comment because the food wasn't mexican enough... and rate it less..I think it's just silly!! I believe that if you're going to wright a review of a resort and be negative about it fine. I just find some pp have to much time on their hands to nit pick on small things..

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Whats with the negative reviews for the Grand??

And you don't think some people have too much time on their hands to complain about others' reviews?? Who cares? I've stayed at The Grand twice and will be back again in a couple of weeks - I have no intention of getting my knickers in a twist 'cos somebody else doesn't like the place.

The reviewer seemed to have had a great time at ERC:):) Obviously, he/she WAS happy somewhere else.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Whats with the negative reviews for the Grand??

Lisa, I think this is where the different tastes and priorities thing comes in. That feels like nitpicking to you, to complain that the food wasn't "Mexican" enough. For me, living in an area with tons of international restaurants, I have never once found the Japanese or the Italian restaurants in a Mexican resort up to snuff. And I can't for the life of me figure out why these wonderful resorts wouldn't want to showcase the food of their own culture, which you would think they'd be able to do so much better. I would gladly eat good MexicN food in Mexico every day over mediocre Tepanyaki food. Yet, few of the nice resorts in RM serve it or do it well. It doesn't seem like nitpicking to me that the reviewer noted that. It's just different priorities to me, not stupid or nitpicky. Like when someone complains about drinks being weak...to someone else, that would be huge. To me, I couldn't care at all.

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
431 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Whats with the negative reviews for the Grand??

Hmm it seems some people have taken what I said a little out of line..... It's not the case!!!! I can see how something so simple/small can get so UGLY! I will end it now. I don't care what peoples reviews are on a resort. It won't stop me from going! But in my opinion I don't sweat the small things that are not up to snuff whilst on vacation.....

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Whats with the negative reviews for the Grand??

I think it's hard not to defend and feel defensive about a resort you love. I stayed at the IGB in Punta Cana and it was really nice, so I'm sure this resort is too. I have a resort I love in Jamaica that I feel strangely protective of when people criticize that I need to try to be careful to remember that not everyone needs to feel the same way about it that I do. Not everyone will like it or like the same things about it that I do. I really liked Actran's post about helping people decide if the Grand was right for them...because it's not the right place for everyone. I didn't think things were getting ugly and certainly not "UGLY!" here. Just having a discussion about perceptions.

Edited: 01 May 2013, 13:05
Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,521 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Whats with the negative reviews for the Grand??

A bit of research from a perspective guest at the resort would inform them that there is no dinner Mexican food restaurant at the Grand (I am one that wishes there was), but I was pleasantly surprised to see that at lunch there was more Mexican food offerings than in previous years. It seems lately that a lot of gripes about the Grand also include the limited places you can get wifi and Actran reported they have said that they are updating the wifi so hopefully that changes soon.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Whats with the negative reviews for the Grand??

Regarding the wifi in rooms and common areas: the "quality manager" in reply to some reviews has stated that they are working on it and hope to have it "by the end of the year"..........

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,521 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Whats with the negative reviews for the Grand??

I read that too bridgenut and I had hoped it would be sooner than just "hoping to have it by the end of the year."

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
402 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Whats with the negative reviews for the Grand??

Every resort can have an off day (or days), and no one resort can please all travelers. I'm not sure why some people take it so personally when someone else does not wax rhapsodic about their particular favorite. This smacks of the Playa Mujeres forum...