We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from 2 weeks at the IB Grand - any questions?

London, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Back from 2 weeks at the IB Grand - any questions?

Thank you to everyone who answered my many questions before our trip - we picked up some usefui tips and had a fabulous time. I actually met 3 different TA members who recognised me from my profile pic - how funny!

I have written a lengthy review, which will hopefully be up on TA tomorrow. In the meantime, if anyone wants to ask me anything, I'm happy to help.

I am now back at my desk, clinically depressed and going through my photo album at least once an hour.

Mollie

Texas
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from 2 weeks at the IB Grand - any questions?

I've noticed you've been to both Royal's, how would you compare the resorts? Did the reservations frustrate you at all since you knew about them going into it?

The Grand has always intrigued me but with the rates they charge it is going to be a monumental task ever talking my husband into it. Always interested to see how it compares to resorts & features I know we enjoy.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,612 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from 2 weeks at the IB Grand - any questions?

How was the "towel game?" There was a poster that said they could not find a spot at all one day and I was wondering if that was your experience as well?

London, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from 2 weeks at the IB Grand - any questions?

Hi Kellieanddoug

I made dinner reservations for the first week before I left, then once we'd visited all the restaurants, we decided which ones we preferred and booked for the second week once we were there.

We had no problem getting the restaurants we wanted, on the day we wanted, at the time we wanted (830pm) it was a breeze. Just ask at the Concierge desk.

The rates are worth it when you get there. Its Grand. Grander than the 2 Royals, although we loved those resorts when we were there. We came to the Grand as a one off, it has left us with wonderful memories, but we would be happy to go back to the royals in a heartbeat!

In all honesty, there were 2 things I didn't like about the Grand. The first thing is the main pool. It is salt water and murky looking. I preferred the tranquility pool, which was clearer and quieter. The salt water one left a film on my skin, which I felt i had to shower off. I only swam in it twice in 2 weeks.

The other thing I wasn't keen on was the bathroom. It has the vanity area in the bathroom, so I had to do my hair whilst my partner was on the toilet!. I preferred the royal's set up, where there was a separate vanity area to get ready in. The jacuzzi's in the room were better at the Royal too, you could watch TV whilst in them, but at The Grand, the jacuzzi was in the bathroom.

But thats the only 2 gripes I had. I haven't even mentioned them in my review as they were no big deal. Even the towel game didnt bother us - We wandered down to the quiet pool after 9am and always got a bed.

I would have liked to have seen more al fresco dining options, like Pelicanos at The Royals, or even a beach bar, but apart frm a few outside tables, this option was lacking.

It sounds as though I'm monaing , but I'm not, we had a great time!

London, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from 2 weeks at the IB Grand - any questions?

Hi Texas123_7

Yes, the towel game is in operation. It was frustrating at first, but we didn't let it bother us because there is no way to beat it. Luckily in our 1st week, there was 80 guests attending a convention of some sort, so they weren't around until 4pm, so it was easier to find a bed. We discovered we preferred the tranquility pool, and there was always a bed there when we went at around 9am.

I did see a solution. There were a few empty spots where they could put extra beds, and also, they could replace the dozens of beds in the water with a few of the ones where you can sit up. The problem with the beds in the water is that there is nowhere to put your stuff (beach bag etc).

Its annoying when people dont come to claim their beds until after lunch or reserve multiple beds, but what can you do? I didn't want to get into a towel rage incident!

We met friends who said it was near on impossible to get a bed on the beach after 7.30am. That is poor when you are spending so much to stay at a place.

Edited: 08 May 2013, 17:11
Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from 2 weeks at the IB Grand - any questions?

I can't believe your back already, it seems like you just left. Glad you had a good time!

North London
Level Contributor
533 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from 2 weeks at the IB Grand - any questions?

Welcome back Mollie-Pops. Wow that went quickly...it seems just the other day we were both asking questions about the Grand. Hubby and I are off on Saturday for his special birthday surprise present and he still has no idea where he's going. The main reason for booking this resort was the golf...he is golf mad and I have already arranged his tee-off times - so was wondering what your other half thought of the course and how many rounds did he manage to play and did he get paired up with someone if you didn't play.

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from 2 weeks at the IB Grand - any questions?

Hi Molly Pops

I am a total Mexico virgin and find the hotel abbreviations really tough which hotels do you mean when you say the "Royals"?

Also did you book your trip as a package from a British tour operator or did you do hotel and flights seperatly?

I'm trying to get closer to booking for this July/August but feel lost in the world of beautiful hotels and which is the best beach etc?

I need all the help I can get :-(

Thanks

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
38 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from 2 weeks at the IB Grand - any questions?

Hi! I'm glad I found your post. The Royal in Cancun was my first trip to an AI in the Caribbean 3 years ago. I proposed to my wife, went to the IB Grand in the DR for my honeymoon (loved it) the following year. This year, we went back to The Royal in Cancun as an anniversary trip.

Honestly, upon my most recent trip to The Royal in Cancun ( a few months ago ), I felt it was lacking. Not sure if the quality was a little less and/or if the IB Grand in the DR spoiled us.

So my wife and I decided that we probably won't go back to The Royal in Cancun (at least for a while) and we need to try someplace new and someplace not in Cancun. So I started doing some research and because we really liked the IB Grand in the DR, I thought maybe we could try another IB Grand somewhere else. I'm looking at the IB Grand Paraiso.

In your opinion, which is better of the three? Not sure how much traveling you've done, but is there someplace else that's better than the three that's AI & in the Caribbean? It seems the IB Grand Paraiso is somewhat more affordable than the other Grands, so that's why it's an option for us.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Texas
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from 2 weeks at the IB Grand - any questions?

Thanks for all of the information Molliepops, I don't think it sounds like you're moaning at all, very good details for the travellers that are detail oriented! I don't think I"d mind the salt water pool (the film sounds yuck but managable) but I doubt my husband would enjoy it.

We honeymooned at RPDC in 2008 and loved every second of it, we've been to the Valentin Imperial Maya 3x since then and also loved every second of it. My husband is the type that says "why on earth would we spend more per night when we have a wonderful time & can stay longer at the others" but my mission is to try as many of the AI's as I possibly can . I just wish the Grand would come out with some type of spectacular pricing on sale, it would make my case a lot easier!

London, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back from 2 weeks at the IB Grand - any questions?

Hi Londonsunseeker

My other half took his golf shoes but did not play, it was too hot!!

I was amazed because he is golf mad, but it was literally scorching and he didn't want to get up at 7am to beat the sun, do sorry I can't comment on the golf.