We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone suggest a resort to match up to the Grand?

London, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Can anyone suggest a resort to match up to the Grand?

We spent 2 fabulous weeks at The Grand in April.

I am now ready to look for our next resort in Mexico. The trouble is, we have been spoilt and need somewhere that will match what we've just had!

We never return to the same resort twice, so these are our requirements:

adults only

5 star

all inclusive

on the beach

great food

good entertainment

We do not want a "spa" type resort as my partner will get bored, we like it quite lively, but not "spring break".

We have already stayed at:

Temptations, Cancun

The Royal, Cancun

The Royal, Playa Del Carmen

The Iberostar Grand, Playa Paraisio

Can you give me your recommendations? I know there are Iberostar Grand properties in Dominican Republic and Jamaica, but we adore Mexico, and love the service and people, so thats what makes us keep returning.

London, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone suggest a resort to match up to the Grand?

PS I'm leaning towards Secrets Mamora Beach, if anyone has been to both, I would love to hear your comparison.

Thank you!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone suggest a resort to match up to the Grand?

I don't think SMB will live up to the Grand. How about El Dorado Maroma, Le Blanc or Grand Velas?

Why don't you return to a resort twice? I understand wanting to try new places as I used to be like that but if you've found something you really like, why not experience it more than once?

London, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone suggest a resort to match up to the Grand?

Hi Llisa

Thank you for your recommendations, I will check out those resorts now.

The reason I never go back to the same resort, is because I like to experience different places. I stick to the same country though!

I tend to think that once you know what a place is like, you have certain expectations, but if you've never been there before, its always exciting to get there and experience it for the first time.

Everyone has different opinions, i know, it wouldnt do for everyone to be the same.

Plus, you get a different set of holiday photos each time (although I usually have the same clothes on at each place ha ha)

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone suggest a resort to match up to the Grand?

The reason I commented about returning is because I too prefer new places ..... at least I did until I went to the Valentin Imperial Maya. I've now been back to the same resort FOUR times! It's true, you do have certain expectations but the only time that's a problem is if the resort doesn't deliver on subsequent visits and in my case it has, with bells on! An upside to revisiting is that you don't have to familiarize yourself with the layout, you don't waste time or meals on things that weren't stellar before. For me, there's almost a feeling of "coming home".

I'm lucky enough to vacation more than once a year, so in between visits to the VIM, we've gone elsewhere (including destinations outside Mexico). I'll admit though that I am ready to try somewhere new, so the VIM's probably out for this year (unless I see it at a price I simply can't pass up .... never say never!) but that absolutely doesn't mean that I won't return to the VIM in the future.

As you said, it wouldn't do for us all to be the same but as a converted "somewhere new every time" person, I though I'd share my experience with you.

Good luck with wherever you end up and I really hope it measures up to the Grand (which is a challenge in itself!).

MD - USA
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can anyone suggest a resort to match up to the Grand?

I have not stayed at the Grand but I have stayed at SMB 3 times and loved it every time. It is the best AI I have ever stayed at. They are always ranked 1 and 2 in the area so trying SMB is a no brainer IMO.

London
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Can anyone suggest a resort to match up to the Grand?

You could try Excellence Playa Mujeres or Secrets the VIne or Secrets Silversands

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can anyone suggest a resort to match up to the Grand?

Bridgenut has been to the Grand and to SMB hopefully she will give you a comparasion ,I am hoping to return next year to the Grand for a fourth visit but if i was going to try another resort i would like to try el dorado casitas or Secrets the vine.

Sycamore, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can anyone suggest a resort to match up to the Grand?

Give EDM a try,It's a smaller place ,that usually means better service,And also We are planning a trip there In December for our 22nd Anniversary.You have been to to some interesting Resorts.I'm sure they all were wonderful..Good luck..

Jon

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can anyone suggest a resort to match up to the Grand?

Spotsmom has also been to both.

If I was going to consider somewhere else (which we all know I'm not) I would seriously look at EDM.

I used to be a little curious about SMB but they don't have enough beach palapas and expect couples to share and if you want a private beach bed they charge $40/day. Someone who was there recently also requested to sit in a specific area of a restaurant and was told they had to order a minimum $50 bottle if wine to sit there. I never could get an answer as to why that spot was so coveted. Also the hydrotherapy area of the spa is extra. Too many extras for me.

London, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can anyone suggest a resort to match up to the Grand?

Thank you, I did not know about the extras at SMB, that is not ideal. What resort do you mean when you say EDM?