We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a good midprice hotel to take relatives.

boston
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for a good midprice hotel to take relatives.

Hi, Looking to go to Mexico (Cancun/Riviera Maya) July 2014 with hubby, grandson, sister, brother in law and their two kids. ( All kids under 11) Looking for a good midprice hotel (would like to be under 1000.00 per person) as I'd be paying for half of my sister's family trip. Any thoughts. I've been to Iberostar Maya, Barceló Palace and the Grand Velas the last few years. Really like them all but I'd like to find something, quite frankly, abit cheaper but with decent food and not too far from the airport. I'm feeling overwhelmed with choices and thought TA folks might have some thoughts?

As always thanks for the assist.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a good midprice hotel to take relatives.

Take a look at some of the reviews for Marina El Cid in Puerto Morelos. It's only about 25 min. from the airport, good place for the kids, decent beach, and nice pool set up.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a good midprice hotel to take relatives.

RIU Cancun?

DFW, Texas
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a good midprice hotel to take relatives.

The catalonia maroma beach might be a nice place yo stay, It's on a great section of beach( next door to secrets maroma) and it's less than thirty minutes from the airport, with private transportation.The family iberostar resorts look pretty good also. You have many options.

Hilltown...
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a good midprice hotel to take relatives.

Have you thought about renting a villa for the week in Playacar? It would be less expensive and there're a ton of great restaurants to walk to in Playa.

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,579 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a good midprice hotel to take relatives.

TBB,

HOLA! We stayed at Grand Sunset Princess when it first opened and enjoyed ourselves. They have a section for adults only where you and Mike could stay and also a regular section. We stayed in the Platinum section which, at the time, was adults only, however it now includes youngins and has extra perks. However for the money and on a budget, I don't think you can beat the standard rooms as long as you realize you are not at the Grand Velas in any way, shape or form. Pools were beautiful and the food was decent.

If not I would suggest Bavaro Princess in Punta Cana. Very reasonable.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,661 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a good midprice hotel to take relatives.

Check out the Reef Playacar. It's 1 hr south of the Cancun airport, and within walking distance of Playa del Carmen. It will hit your price point, they have a beautiful beach, the food is good and the price is so reasonable that they can wander in to Playa to find some interesting restaurants and entertainment. It's also centrally located for any outside excursions they would like to try.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a good midprice hotel to take relatives.

I would second the Catalonia Privileged (Maroma) resort. It is next to SMB and has a really pretty beach. The prices are reasonable and it's not a mega resort which might make it easier to get around with kids. Price is good.

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a good midprice hotel to take relatives.

As others have suggested Catalonia Playa Maroma would hit all your check marks. It's a very nice clean resort on a spectacular beach and is appropriate for all ages. I think the food selection is better than many other resorts at this price point and it's only about 30 minutes from the airport.

The Iberostar Beach and Del Mar would fill the bill too but they would be higher priced than CPM.

9. Re: Looking for a good midprice hotel to take relatives.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 06:23