We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We've started our countdown to the Grand

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
172 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
We've started our countdown to the Grand

We arrive December 1 - 7 for our sixth visit, fifth visit this time of year for my birthday. We are so ready. We have not been anywhere this year so are really looking forward to this vacation. We had our kitchen redone and my husband had surgery so we have not had time to travel in 2013. I have already started packing. Who else will be there during that time?

I have a question. On each return visit there has been a "Welcome Back" gift. The first three years were golf shirts and last year was a tote bag (which has come in handy for big items at the grocery store). What is being given this year?

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: We've started our countdown to the Grand

Granny I'll see you there. I get there the 2nd but the rest of my group will be arriving on Sunday with you.

Less than 3 weeks now.

nik

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We've started our countdown to the Grand

They will see that it is your sixth stay when you check in. Typically based on current occupancy you should be offered a upgrade. They gave us a villa.

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: We've started our countdown to the Grand

Upgrades are always hit or miss with the Iberostars. In 14 trips to various ones I think I got upgraded 4 times but it doesn't really bother me though since I spend so little time in the actual room.

Travelling in the slow season should help but doesn't seem to, all my trips are in early December. Over our 4 (soon to be 5) stays at the Grand we've had years were some of the group get them and others don't and times when no one gets one or everyone does.

My friend and his wife got a villa upgrade last year. They are very nice but also a walk from everything since they secluded - which is a plus for a honeymoon. Sadly they lack ocean views.

nik

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
172 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We've started our countdown to the Grand

We wouldn't want to be upgraded to a villa either. I love to watch people so I prefer to be where I can see people from my balcony when I am in the room. Looking forward to meeting you Nik. I missed you last year. We are usually at the lobby bar at six. I pretty much look like my avatar, a couple of years older.

I would still like to know what the return gift will be.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We've started our countdown to the Grand

Upgrades at the Grand (for free) are absolutely hit or miss like Nik said. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why some people do or don't get a free upgrade.

I also don't know if there is a "true" returning guest gift. We received a bottle of wine in our room and an extra flower arrangement on our last trip but I don't have a clue if that was because that was our 4th trip there or what.

FWIW, I agree, I wouldn't want a villa either.

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: We've started our countdown to the Grand

Granny,

Like Texas I'm not sure if there is an official gift or if they just put something they have on hand in the rooms. I've got the shirts and the beach bag (which my mom now uses as a grocery bag) but I haven't seen anyone say what they are getting now.

I will look for you at the lobby bar. Our group (or at least some of us) usually go there 630-7 for pre-dinner drinks and then again after dinner or the show before heading elsewhere.

So looking forward to getting away from the cold weather that moved in the last few days.

nik

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
172 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We've started our countdown to the Grand

Hi Nik. We are originally from New England so going to a warmer climate has always been important to us. (We got married in February many years ago, so we could have a tropical honeymoon!!) We had our first hard frost here in SC this week, earlier than usual but we have had great weather this year. I hope it is cold here while we are at the Grand, it makes it all worthwhile. We eat early, at 6:30, so hopefully we will cross paths at the Lobby Bar before we go to dinner.

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: We've started our countdown to the Grand

I'm sure our paths will cross at some point.

We've already had our first snow of the season but there's a warming trend this weekend so the little that stuck will be gone. I always hope its cold and snowy when I'm in Mexico, it's not nice but it does make so much better :)

nik

9. Re: We've started our countdown to the Grand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 05:17