We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Maya to Isla Mujeres

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Maya to Isla Mujeres

We went to Isla for the day last year and loved it. This year we are returning to the area with our kids (7 & 10) and were thinking that would be a good day trip for us. However last year we were staying in Playa Mujeres so it was pretty easy getting to the ferry. Any thoughts on how long and how much money it would cost us just to get to the ferry from the Iberostar resorts? Thanks!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Maya to Isla Mujeres

1) Taxi to the Puerto Morelos northbound bus stop. Price unknown but can't be that bad.

2) Catch ADO bus (about every 15 minutes) to the downtown Cancun bus station.22 pesos each. 35 minute travel time.

3) Walk outside the bus station and take a taxi to Gran Puerto. Approximate cost $6-7 (plus/minus) per taxi.

Catch ferry and reverse the process to get to your hotel.

Some useful picture towards the end of this link

tinyurl.com/7m3r6

Edited: 15 January 2014, 23:05
Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Maya to Isla Mujeres

We did this from the Grand Paraiso a year ago. I highly recommend it and even though it was a pricy excursion (only because of the cost of transportation) I would do it again in a heart beat.

We let the bell man know we wanted to be taken to the Puerto Juarez ferry terminal and he called us a cab. We agreed upon $50 for the ride with the driver before we left. Rode the ferry over and rented a golf cart from Ciro's I believe. That was $50. Then spent the rest of the day playing and exploring. When we arrived back at the terminal after we left Isla we found a cab and he quoted us a cheaper price for our return trip. I think it was $45. It was such a great day that we totally enjoyed.

As CoPilot said there are cheaper ways than a taxi, but for us it was fast and easy and we knew ahead of time the cost of this particular day trip so we just built it in our budget.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Maya to Isla Mujeres

Thank you both. At least we have two options. We loved our day there last year, now just to figure out if our kids will love it as well.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
43 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Maya to Isla Mujeres

Anyone know how much the ferry is?

Edited: 20 March 2014, 18:11
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
43 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Maya to Isla Mujeres

I found this info:

Ultramar from Puerto Juarez 78 pesos ea way

Cannot find a website that might give accurate and up to date info on the Magaña Express...

Now I wonder if anyone has opinions regarding the ferry options:

Ultramar

vs.

Magaña Express

Both would be from Puerto Juarez.

??

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Maya to Isla Mujeres

Use Ultramar (blue and yellow) from Puerto Juarez if coming from Iberostar. Its cheap and fast.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
43 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Maya to Isla Mujeres

Thanks again Tex!

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,741 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Maya to Isla Mujeres

Used to be 140 pesos roundtrip on Ultramar, but they just increased the far to 146 pesos and they give a slight discount if you book roundtrip instead of one way.

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Maya to Isla Mujeres

Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres was just listed on Trip advisor's best beaches in the world as #10.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
43 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Maya to Isla Mujeres

Destination Playa Norte!

Thanks actran!