We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cleveland airport early morning security

Midwest City...
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cleveland airport early morning security

I will be flying on a Wednesday morning in May at 6:30 AM to Cuacao, connecting in Miami with American Airlines (terminal A). Is one hour enough time to check bags, get through security and get to our gate? We also may want to grab a quick "to-go" breakfast. Thank you for your suggestions!

Typically I fly out of Akron Canton Airport which is super small and very fast. Unfortunately, this time I must fly through Cleveland.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,662 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cleveland airport early morning security

Check with your airline - most of them recommend you arrive at the airport 3 hours prior to departure. However, with such an early flight, I'd also suggest you confirm both what time the check in desk will open and what time Security at Cleveland opens its doors - there's not much point in arriving more than 30 minutes or so before that. If you can do online check-in, that can help speed up the check in process too.

Ohio
Level Contributor
165 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cleveland airport early morning security

We have been through Cleveland for early flights many times, however, it was always a Sat or Sun. I'm not sure if a weekday will be that easy.

It generally takes 30 - 45 minutes. We always arrive at least 2 hours early.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cleveland airport early morning security

One hour is recommended for domestic flights, we always give our selves 2 when flying internationally if for no other reason then to not have to panic about any unforeseen delay either getting to the airport or issues once inside the airport.

Why stress out on vacation, better to be early than miss that flight.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,726 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cleveland airport early morning security

At my local small airport the security lines for an early morning flight can be surprisingly long. At least two hours is going to give you adequate time to not stress if/when you encounter lines. You can certainly check to see if they have security times posted on the Cleveland airport website. General rule is that too many people want to shorten their arrival times too much. You risk unneeded stress and the possibility of missing your flight.

Midwest City...
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cleveland airport early morning security

Thank you for your responses. I fly frequently, and never seem to need 2-3 hours at the airport. However, I typically don't fly out so early. Also, I'm not as familiar with CLE. This is an international flight, but getting from CLE to MIA is considered domestic, so I was unsure.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cleveland airport early morning security

We always fly out of Cleveland, oftentimes early and during the week. We get there about 1-1:15 in advance. It can be a hit or miss regarding the check in and security lines. It's better to be safe even if you have to sit around for 30 minutes. Outside of United, the gates are fairly close. Some of the United gates can take a lot more time to get to...A trick to know if that the security line on the right is always shorter and moves more quickly :) There has been one or two instances where they have given us a hard time about checking our bags if we arrive even close to 45 minutes before the flight leaves.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cleveland airport early morning security

I take morning flight out if Cleveland about every six months and I highly recommend getting there at least 2.5 hours early. Sometimes the lines to check in with the airline can be quite long.

8. Re: Cleveland airport early morning security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 05:20