We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Grand or Maya for Moms & 18 yr old sons?

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Grand or Maya for Moms & 18 yr old sons?

Any suggestions on which resort to stay in? 680.00 difference. If we stay in the Grand we have access to all of the resorts, which sounds like it might be a great deal. Is the Grand resort worth the money to have adult only and access to the other resorts?

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,808 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Grand or Maya for Moms & 18 yr old sons?

The Grand is quite a BIG step up from the other resorts at the complex. If that is the total price difference for your stay and you can afford it, I would go with the Grand. Your boys might want to venture over to the other resorts to socialize since there won't be people their age at the Grand and they would probably be bored there.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Grand or Maya for Moms & 18 yr old sons?

As much as I loooove the Grand, I wouldn't stay there with 18 year old boys. I would stay at the Maya since they would feel out of place IMO. I'm in my thirties and honestly felt very young there. However it is my favorite resort:)

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Grand or Maya for Moms & 18 yr old sons?

Ditto, the Maya would be better. Is the $680 per person.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Grand or Maya for Moms & 18 yr old sons?

No, the $680 is for two people… How far is the walk between Maya and the other resorts?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Grand or Maya for Moms & 18 yr old sons?

They all lined up next to eachother.

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Grand or Maya for Moms & 18 yr old sons?

Map: wikimapia.org/…b

zoom in, out.

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Grand or Maya for Moms & 18 yr old sons?

I took our kids, 18, 21 & 24 to the Grand. They loved it. They went to the disco and to the other resorts when they wanted to hang out with people their own age but they loved the premium amenities of the Grand.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Grand or Maya for Moms & 18 yr old sons?

We just returned from the Grand and I noticed a few families with children who looked to be around that age. The 2 young men I saw a couple times appeared to be enjoying themselves. Two young girls who couldn't have been more than 18 or 19 joined the crowd at the lobby bar one night, but left almost immediately. It was obvious that that they felt awkward... Not sure if it was because of the crowd or that they were just awkward about ordering from a bar. They complained about the drinks being too strong before they left.

As a 26 year old, I never felt too young for the crowd. Granted, I'm married with a child already, but I don't think I would've been disappointed had I stayed there 8 years ago. I think the luxury of the Grand would be worth it, especially for you moms. From what we saw of the other resorts, it'd be easier for the boys to venture to the other resorts if they got bored. It would be much more difficult for you to find Grande - esque tranquility at the other resort if you felt overwhelmed. The 18 year olds may also be excited to be treated like "real" adults staying at an adults only resort, rather than sharing the facilities with the many infants and young children at the family resorts.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Grand or Maya for Moms & 18 yr old sons?

James.....great map link! Gracias!!

Knutsford, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Grand or Maya for Moms & 18 yr old sons?

Arrive on 24/6 for 2 weeks with older teenagers.

We booked a late deal without much investigation as they will spend the summer in Europe.

However, we normally stay in the Iberostar Suites in Montego Bay which I now notice has a similar system, Grand , Suites and Beach to the complex in Mexico.

We are booked into the Beach and have discounted the Grand for the above reasons and experience in Montego Bay...but are thinking of trying to upgrade to the Maya or Lindos is it worth it for our 17 and 19 year old,are the facilities much different?

Thanks