We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Grand or Valentin Imerial Maya?

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Grand or Valentin Imerial Maya?

My question is, is Iberostar Grand worth $1,000 more than VIM???

Need a nice beach with good waiter service on it, good food, good drinks, entertainment at night but nothing too crazy. I like the idea of VIM having live music to dance to. Does the grand have anything like that or is all dancing at the disco? Does VIM have activites during the day? Do they have a theater and is it air conditioned? Can kids wonder onto the beach at the grand from the other iberostar properties? Also, does the Jacuzzi at the grand fit two people or not? Would probably stay in an emerald suite at the VIM- what is their Jacuzzi like? Thanks!!!!

Also, would you consider el dorado royal or maroma or secrets capri or silversands over the two that I have already mentioned?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Grand or Valentin Imerial Maya?

HOw long is that for? SSS doesn't have a great beach, so I wouldn't go there. I haven't been to the VIM, but only hear great things. I have been to the Grand and looooooooved it. This would be the one I would pick if we ever get to do an adults only again.lol. It was amazing and I have been to 20 plus AI's.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Grand or Valentin Imerial Maya?

We are going for 6 nights in July! I just can't see spending another 1.000 on the Grand!!!!!!! It looks so lovely though! Can you tell me about the entertainment? Is there a place to have a drink outside before dinner or just in the lobby bar? Is there seating outside maybe a plaza or something where I could order a drink from the lobby bar and take it outside and have someplace nice to sit and drink it? What time does the Grand usually get quiet? Is there any live music to dance to specifically at the Grand or do I have to go to the shared disco if I want to dance? Do they do any lessons at this resort? Salsa lessons, cooking lessons, anything? I have read so many reviews about so many resorts and wasn't even looking at the Grand until the boyfriend saw a picture of it and said we should go there! So now, I am pretty much back at square one!!!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,991 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Grand or Valentin Imerial Maya?

You're compariing apples to oranges, IMHO.

But, to answer your questions:

Is the IBG worth $1,000 more than the VIM - I don't think so but I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with me. This is such a subjective question that you'll never get an objective answer.

Does IBG have live music - I don't know.... but I'm pretty confident they don't have anyting similar to La Plaza;

Does VIM have activities during the day - yup. Yoga, zumba, pilates, kayak tours, bike tour (of the resort), Spanish lesson, volleyball, rifle shooting, water aerobics, dance lessons etc.

Does the VIM have a theatre - yes. Is it air conditioned - no.

Can kids wonder onto the beach at the Grand - yes ..... but since there's no reason to stick around, I can't see that it'd be an issue. I know I've seen kids very close to the Grand's beach area when I've walked up there but reports from Grand guests would indicate that they're very proactive on ensuring loungers etc. are restricted to Grand guest use only.

Would the jacuzzi at the Grand it two people - dunno, never stayed there.

What's the jacuzzi in the Emerald suites like - absolutely HUGE but since it's tiled, i suspect it's not terribly comfortable. I know plenty of people really like the Emerald suites at the VIM but I'm not a fan of the main/sleeping area (although the bathrooms are gorgeous) and I especially don't like the amount of vegetation immediately outside which can make some suites dark and rather claustrophobic feeling. Despite the fact the Emeralds are ocean front, good views (or even any view of the ocean at all) is REALLY hit and miss and, IMHO, that's an awful lot of money to shell out for a room.

El Dorado Maroma might be on a par or even superior to the IBG, depending upon your preferences. Secrets Silversands is, IMHO, a very nice resort but the beach at the VIM is way better, Secrets Capri is in need of refurbishment according to many.

For a ridiculuously long and detailed comparison between Secrets Silversands and the VIM, see this thread - tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g240327-i395-k69612…

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Grand or Valentin Imerial Maya?

As much as I love the Grand, I wouldn't pay $1000 more to stay there for 6 nights,, ,I would try the VIM for sure at that cost.

There was seating for us outside at the Grand, but we were there for a function, so I don't know if that was set special or not. It was not quite when we were there, but it was full. There were things you could partake in such as cooking lessons and salsa dancing if you wanted, but I never did. Their rooms are beautiful and I think it would have been OK for two in the Jacuzzi, but not spacious. I loved their balconies, views (we had ocean front) and their food was the best I've ever had, but $1000 seems like a lot for only 6 nights:(

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Grand or Valentin Imerial Maya?

Been to both and I probably wouldn't drop the extra unless food and drink is really important to you. In my mind there was no comparison there as the Grand was superior. Valentin is much more lively but you always have the shared I be roster disco if you want to stay up late at the Grand. Where is Secrets Silver sands pricing out at?

If it was only $100 a night difference I would probably do the Grand.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Grand or Valentin Imerial Maya?

Booking through chase rewards so we have points for one night.

VIM listed as ocean front, I am assuming it is an Emerald Suite is 1,827.29

Iberostar Grand I'm not sure which room it just says a double or a king sized bed with balcony is 2,691.99

SSS room description just says one king opens to balcony is 2,361

TOUGH CALL!!!! I doubt we ever visit the area again, at least anytime soon. We will go to other AI's just not in Mexico until we have experienced many other places.... if that makes a difference in deciding between the two, I do not know....

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Grand or Valentin Imerial Maya?

Llisa- cooking lessons at VIM?

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Grand or Valentin Imerial Maya?

That's a decent price for the Grand. I'd be tempted if it was a once in awhile trip. Throw Secrets Silver sands out at that price.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Grand or Valentin Imerial Maya?

That is without airfare too! Yeah SSS out. Between Grand and VIM and still undecided. sigh. Traveling next month.. yikes.. need to get it together. Would anyone say that a regular room at Grand would be better than emerald or whatever is next up from that at VIM?

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Grand or Valentin Imerial Maya?

No. We had oceanfront at the Grand and isn't wasn't anything great. Except that it was oceanfront!