We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun Airport Info??

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cancun Airport Info??

Somewhere on this forum I saw a wonderful thread detailing all of the info about arriving in Cancun, completing your paperwork while on the plane - along with sample forms, going through customs, finding your transport - everything a first time traveler would need to know. We are leaving this weekend and I can't find it anywhere! If I search, I end with 24,000 possibilities!

Can anyone point me in the right direction. This was a thread done by people on the forum, not a govt. website.

Also, can we put locks on our luggage?

Thanks....the nerves are kickin' in.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun Airport Info??

Here is one

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k717359…

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun Airport Info??

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k625346…

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,293 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun Airport Info??

And here's another - tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g3198845-i27741-k71…

I put this together as a Top Question in the Playa del Secreto forum after finding myself repeating the same info in other threads.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 14:01
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun Airport Info??

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,293 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun Airport Info??

Re: the locks - if you're gonna use 'em, people suggest you use the TSA kind which the authorities can open if they decide they want to inspect your checked luggage after you've checked it but before it goes onto the plane.

However, I've seen a few reports on these forums from people whose luggage was wrecked by non US authorities opening their bags - apparently, it's only the US that have the facility to open TSA locks, other countries may not have this.

FWIW, I no longer use locks on my suitcases; I use plastic zipties instead. It ensures the suitcase stays zipped up but can be easily snipped off (and replaced) if any government authority wishes to inspect the contents. Of course, it doesn't do much to deter a thief but I never pack anything in my checked luggage that is valuable anyway.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun Airport Info??

Mary (and for those others headed to Cancun), I would strongly suggest you consider the wonderful maps of Cancun available from Mapchick at:

www.cancunmap.com

The cost of the maps are $15 and well worth it imo including the CUN airport (both arrivals and departures); the Hotel zone; restaurants; attractions; taxis; buses; and downtown Cancun (el Centro).

The website does offer shipping via priority mail (2 days) or overnight express. I purchased my copy of the maps several years ago *AFTER* having visited Cancun more than a dozen times, and they are still invaluable to me.

Sure a resort/hotel name/owners may have changed, but the property itself is still there. Same thing for the restaurants; a few may have closed but another opened in the same location. The maps are still worth every penny I spent even as a well-seasoned Cancun traveler.

Se diviertan!

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun Airport Info??

Do not use locks but use straps & do not put valuables in checked luggage..

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun Airport Info??

I'm so glad I found this forum and all of your great advice. I only wish I had found it before I chose our resort, but better late than never.

Thank you again.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,318 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun Airport Info??

Great link supplied by Llisa with much useful information . As said, If you use TSA locks, remember Mexican officials cannot open them. If they need to get inside, they will break locks, zippers or anything else in their way.

10. Re: Cancun Airport Info??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 06:17