We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Grand Paraiso - Beach quality?

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
768 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Grand Paraiso - Beach quality?

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody can tell me whether the beach at IBG is very swimmable, very rocky, part of each? At the VIM most of the longer beach area is really not swimmable unless you want to cut yourself up really badly, but there is an excellent smaller "swimming" area further down on the resort.

Is a person going to get cut up on the rocks at IBG?

Thanks in advance?

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,522 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Grand Paraiso - Beach quality?

There are some rocks along part of the coast line, but there is plenty of clear area that is fine for swimming. It is a lovely, very large beach.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Grand Paraiso - Beach quality?

If you look at the top questions over to the upper right, you'll see aerial photos of the beach that I posted, from back in '07. The quality and color of the photos isn't top-notch, but that's only because I was hanging on for dear life while I was taking them.

ETA: Here it is: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g663501-i11489-k56…

The beach is very wide, the water is that gorgeous, clear, turquoise blue, and there is some ironshore in areas, but it's easily avoided. The water does have a tendency to be very wavy at times.

Edited: 03 August 2014, 16:18
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
768 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Grand Paraiso - Beach quality?

Thanks a lot to both of you. I was hoping that the pictures that I did find were of only a small part of the beach and the photos that October provided definitely confirm that is the case. Looks perfectly fine and I am a strong swimmer who enjoys the waves anyway so it sounds perfect.

The pictures that I did find in "travelers photos" tended to concentrate more on the beach area which looks perfectly nice. When I was at VIM 2009, I cracked my toe open on the beach rocks that were hidden just below some of the more shallow sand...so this time I will pay more attention.

Since you seem interested in the Geology, October, I will confirm that you are absolutely correct although I am unfamiliar with the term "ironshore". The rocks represent the last Pleistocene reef growth in the area and were exposed during the last pre Holocene drop in sea level. The landward exposures of the reef rock show just how much further that sea level is going to rise again as the Holocene Transgression continues as it has for the last 12,500 years. Before the Holocene, at the culmination of the Pleistocene, sea level dropped a total of between 279 feet from today's level to about 500 feet from it's previous high stand. Sea level has been rising at various rates ever since that time.

I wonder if I might ask another question. I am a 60 something year old guy and will be staying with my adult daughter and I was wondering if the bathrooms at IBG offer any sort of privacy (they seem to in the photos) or are they more open concept such as the Secrets Maroma and Secrets the Vine?

Edited: 03 August 2014, 18:41
Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Grand Paraiso - Beach quality?

The bathrooms offer a complete closed concept. The shower and toilet area do have only a frosted glass door which offers no privacy, however, there are two doors with mirrors that can be completely closed if needed. We rarely need to close those two large doors to close off the bathroom, but its nice to have that option just in case.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Grand Paraiso - Beach quality?

I have heard of people busting their toes in the water at the Grand, but if you're facing the beach, the areas to both the right and left of the oceanfront buildings, are pretty clear, if not totally clear of rocks.

There are plenty of areas to enter, rock-free.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
755 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Grand Paraiso - Beach quality?

time4usnow, I just can't fathom your hypothesis...

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
768 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Grand Paraiso - Beach quality?

Thanks for the bathroom info Texas sounds perfect.

Thanks again for the swimming info October.

Alka- it is not a hypothesis. It is well understood. Although the Yucatan is a bit different because of the land uplift related to the Chicxulub impact crater 65 million years ago, it was subjected to the global pre Holocene sea level drop as was all of the Florida region. There used to be an excellent chart on Wiki but somebody has tampered with it. How do I know this? Cause I have studied it in one fashion or another all my life.

…blogspot.ca/2013/05/the-holocene-transgress…

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
768 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Grand Paraiso - Beach quality?

@ OctoberLuver:

I noticed that in another thread of yours that you talked about no smoking in the rooms of IGP, which did not surprise me, but is there smoking permitted on the balcony or the pools or the beach? I know the Quintana Roo laws on smoking, but there is still the issue of each resort's specific policies which vary.

Thanks in advance!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
768 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Grand Paraiso - Beach quality?

I was also curious if you made it to La Perla because it looks nice. How did you find the beach/water since that seems to concern some folks?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Grand Paraiso - Beach quality?

From the sounds of it, seaweed might be an issue now