We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips/things to do for a family with older children

Which Psalidi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England, United...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips/things to do for a family with older children

Hi, I'm stopping at the Mitsis Ramira for two weeks in August and looking for suggestions on trips etc. My children are 14 and 12, so anything suitable for them. I heard about the Turkey trip and Volcano trip but any prices would be useful and who the best person is to book them with. Also, opinions on which trips are good and bad would be useful as a friend of mine is advising against the Turkey day trip and I wondered what other people's opinions were. Thanks :) Are there a number of sightseeing land train rides from Kos town and does anyone know the prices?

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Day trips/things to do for a family with older children

Alison

You are very welcome. I really should have mentioned doing trips across to Bodrum as mentioned in your original post.

Now Turkey is the one place we have visited more than any other country and I know Bodrum well.The castle of St.Peter is s good place to visit; (closed Monday) it is interesting and excellent to explore. Be aware of just how hot it gets so morning better time to go. Walking away from the castle there is the Marina where you will find some excellent cafe bar's that serve excellent food.

The maze of streets are brilliant to explore and there is a chance to show off your haggling skills. Away from the hustle of the main drag towards the Bus Station is the Hammam (Turkish Bath) really excellent. It is a wonderful country and we have had over 20 holidays here but; it can be daunting with the hustle and bustle. The "in your face" talk from bar and shop staff can become over bearing. It is an experience that some love and others hate...Marmite springs to mind. Everyone has opinions, I can only offer you my opinion. The only thing I will say is the trips they offer thru your holiday rep usually involve visiting either a Gold factory or Rug consortium....this can be mind numbing; so think hard before you commit and consider doing the trip as a family on the ferry from Kos.

Hope this helps.

DLV.

London
Level Contributor
269 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Day trips/things to do for a family with older children

Hi Alison

I have been on the 3 island boat trip many times from Kos town over the years.

Yes it can be a bit of a sun trap on the boat. However as others have said.. a little planning ahead will help avoid suffering later. Take a hat, cotton or lightweight top with sleeves and a kaftan/ linen dress/skirt/trousers if need be.

There is always shade inside on the boat or up on top (the 'bridge' area where the captain stands is usually shaded). It's worth getting to the port early to bag one of these areas.

Personally I find smooth boat rides more likely to make me sea sick :). The sea around the islands can get choppy early and late in the season and if it's a windy day. The boats are large and able to cope with most weathers but generally they won't go out if its too risky.

My boys have been on the 3 islands trips since they were babies through to late teens. It's a great day out for all ages.

Have fun in Kos

Mia

13. Re: Day trips/things to do for a family with older children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Psalidi
Recent Conversations