We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Cebu City and Bus to Dumaguete

Melbourne
Level Contributor
304 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Cebu City and Bus to Dumaguete

Hi

Have a few questions regarding the Ceres buses and hoping the forum can help.

1. I am arriving around 6 p.m at Mactan and hoping to catch the next mornings 7:00 a.m A/C bus to Moalboal. Have read that I need to go to the Southern bus terminal, but elsewhere I have also read that I need to go to the Librando Bus Terminal. Which one is it ?

2. Do you think I will be able to purchase a ticket for the A/C bus that morning ? What time should I get to the southern bus station to ensure I get a ticket for this bus ? Does this bus tend to be full ?

3. I am travelling alone and will have a medium travel pack that I understand will have to go under the bus. Will it be safe ? Or, should I purchase 2 seat tickets and keep the pack with me on the bus ?

4, I have read that I get off the bus in Moalboal at near the public market however I have also read that if I want to avoid the tricycle mayhem, I should get off at the church carpark. Any opinions on this ? which stop if first and is it easy to recognize each stop ?

5. Does this particular bus continue on to Dumaguete ? After a few days stay in Moalboal I am hoping to get a Ceres bus all the way through to Dumaguete. When in Moalboal, how can I reserve a seat on the A/C bus and what time does the bus depart Moalboal ? I have read that I probably will not be able to get a seat and it will be standing room only for 2 hours - yikes !

6. Does this bus from Moalboal go all the way to Dumaguete without having to change buses ? I have read that there is a large car ferry which is the official boat transport for the Ceres Bus company and goes from Bato (Cebu side) to Tampi (Dumaguete side) if I choose this option you simply stay on the bus. I am hoping to use an option that does not require a lot of changing, even if it takes a bit longer.

Thanks to everyone in advance that can help me with my questions. It will be my first time to the Philippines so a bit nervous,thus the many questions.

Cebu Island...
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Cebu City and Bus to Dumaguete

1/ it’s the Southern Bus Terminal

2/ Just buy the ticket when you get to the bus terminal, unless it’s a holiday you won’t have a problem.

3/The bags are generally fine underneath but don’t leave any valuables in it. The bus conductor has the key to open this, so the only time he opens it is when they stop to drop passengers off. You could sit by the window near it and keep an eye on things when the bus does stop.

4/ I’ve taken the bus half a dozen times to Moalboal, I think tricycle mayhem is just an exaggeration. If it’s your first time maybe it might look like mayhem! Normally only a small group of people get off bus and there and always tricycles waiting for you. If you like, I have a number of a tricycle rider whom I can trust. You can pre text him and he can pick you up at the corner. His name is Jimmy 0932 4531606.

5/ Most of these buses do the Cebu City – Bato – Cebu City run. So no, not all buses do it. I did do the opposite direction (Dumagute to Cebu City) around 5 years ago, so I don’t know if this information is still correct, someone else may have some current information. The bus from Dumaguete went via Bato and up past Moalboal back to Cebu City- but they only ran a few a day. I didn’t have to change bus as the bus goes onto the (RORO) barge. You may be able to talk with the resort you’re staying at on getting to Dumaguete, they may have some better information or know someone who can help.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,891 posts
1,993 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Cebu City and Bus to Dumaguete

I have also done the Tampi - Bato ferry using a Ceres yellow bus. It was quite efficient: the ferries (more like barges) are quite regular, perhaps half hourly.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Cebu City and Bus to Dumaguete

To get to Dumaguete from Cebu (when I did it 12 months ago), I took the bus to the Lilo-An then across - this was the only way that I found, but maybe I didn't search right. It is not as far around as Bato. You get off the bus at Lilo-An and take a passenger ferry (speedboat?) across. When you arrive, you are at Sibuloan and a tricycle into Dumaguete is easy.

These buses are busy in the morning and there is quite a line-up, the buses seemed to leave every 15 minutes and I had to wait for the 2nd bus. From memory it takes about 3 hours to get to Lilo-An.

If in doubt, just ask - everyone is helpful. Remember everything runs to Philippines time - so things happen when they happen. Don't purchase 2 tickets - the bus gets packed (starts off all seated, then people get on/off along the way) and people stand. Your bag is safe underneath.

Cebu Island...
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Cebu City and Bus to Dumaguete

Yeap you can do that, but from Moalboal the buses only go as far as Bato. You will need to change bus at Bato to catch another bus going back to Cebu City via Lilo-an. You can also catch a tricycle from Bato to Lilo-an as it's not that far.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
304 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Cebu City and Bus to Dumaguete

Hi,

O.K, so I think I have the Cebu City to Moalboal part clear and my questions answered, but I am still a bit unclear on the Moalboal to Dumaguete part.

Just to be clear, from Moalboal I am trying to get to Dumaguete.

I would prefer an A/C bus and wondered if anyone knew the bus schedule from Moalboal to Dumaguete. Do all the buses only go as far as Bato or do some go across on the barge to Dumaguete ? If some go across on the Barge, does anyone know what time they leave Moalboal ?

Thanks

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Cebu City and Bus to Dumaguete

Some buses go on the barge across to Negros for Dumaguete or you can do it as the others have said. We have done it both ways and found the bus on the barge way to take much longer as you have to wait for the loading and unloading.

Air con buses - in the numerous journeys we have done on Cebu island over the last 6 years, we have only ever got one air con bus, they just aren't that common and even if a 'schedule' states an air con bus, it could well be a normal bus. I wouldn't be too hung up on getting an air con bus, normal buses are fine, they go that fast anyway you don't miss the air con because of the wind coming in ;).

So to do the journey separately (this is what we have done in the opposite direction) from Moalboal you would get a trike to the market area where the buses leave. Get on a bus to Bato (air con bus was 73 peso and took 1.5 hours), then take a trike to Lilo-An (should be 25 pesos) and then a boat across to Sibulan (fast craft was around 65 peso) and another trike to Dumaguete (70 peso). Just ask people where to go and they will help you and point the way.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
559 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Cebu City and Bus to Dumaguete

Hi,

thought I'd jump on this rather than start a new thread....

Are the ferry (and bus) services between Lilo-an and Sibulan limited at all on Sundays, or is it a solid 7 day operation?

Thanks

R

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,891 posts
1,993 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from Cebu City and Bus to Dumaguete

The buses run seven days a week.

There is plenty of demand. It isn't like Australia where some trains and most buses to the outer suburbs of say Melbourne may run less frequently on Saturdays and Sundays.

You will be impressed by the frequency of service in Philippines, including through Moalboal. Philippines now has 100 million residents with only 25 per cent living in and around Metro Manila. Roughly half live on islands other than Luzon and Cebu City and Dumaguete are both important centres of commerce and increasingly population.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
559 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus from Cebu City and Bus to Dumaguete

Awesome thanks !

So we should be able to get right through from Cebu - Oslob and onto Dumaguete in one day. Good to hear. As long as the weather doesn't stop us !

Thanks

R

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus from Cebu City and Bus to Dumaguete

Yes you can make it in a day but do not arrive too late in Lilo-an.