We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deruta On Sunday

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
70 posts
231 reviews
Save Topic
Deruta On Sunday

Does anyone know if the pottery shops in Deruta are open on Sunday. We will be there both Saturday and Sunday night in May, and our schedule of when we do what will depend on if the shops are open Sunday. Thanks.

31 replies to this topic
Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deruta On Sunday

I emailed the shop where we bought our set of dishes in September and asked them when they are open on Sundays when I saw your post, but so far no answer. We brought back brochures from several shops we liked, but none of them give store hours. For practical purposes, I think that you had better plan on Saturday shopping because there is no guarantees that the really good shops in the old town will be open on Sunday.

Fyi, here is where we bought, we thought that Marcella's work was just so much better than most everyone else: www.ceramichemiriam.it We also liked this shop just around the corner: www.dgceramica.com and bought some items there also. Beware of anyone asking to not use credit cards, but to do a cash transaction instead. One of our party is having a real problem getting her purchases or her money back from one store that insisted on cash. (Not one of the two above.) Hope this helps.

Edited: 29 November 2011, 18:43
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
70 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deruta On Sunday

Thank you for the great information. I think that we will plan on spending at least several hours shopping on Saturday, and can return Monday before leaving if need be. Thanks also for the names of the shops, which I will pass on to my wife, who is the Deruta collector. I don't expect to be carrying enough cash to be troubled by the sharp dealers you mention.

Thanks again,

Eric

UK
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deruta On Sunday

We visited Deruta on a Sunday during June this year and found about half the shops selling ceramics were open. Those that were open sold the most touristic wares.

4. Re: Deruta On Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 April 2013, 00:05

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
70 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deruta On Sunday

Thank you both for the additional information. We will make sure to arrive in time Saturday to spend some shopping time in Deruta, and will make Sunday our day to explore more of Umbria, using Monday before we leave to catch anything we missed.

Tnaks again.

Eric

Edited: 29 November 2011, 22:42
Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deruta On Sunday

Eric: Don't know if you are looking for another vineyard to visit, but about 15 Ks west of Deruta is the small village of Mercatello and the site of Monte Vibiano Vineyard. www.montevibiano.it It claims to be the only carbon neutral vineyard in Italy, but I do know that riding through the vineyards and 500 year old olive groves on little electric jeeps is a blast. They are open on Sundays and they have an Etruscan wall that was built around one of their vineyards before 200 BC. Not many places can claim to have been making wine for 2200 years. We really enjoyed seeing it and the people there are really friendly. Just a suggestion for your day off in Deruta.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
70 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deruta On Sunday

Sounds like a great idea. I will enjoy the ride around the vineyard and the Etruscan wall, and olive oil if they have it, and my wife will enjoy all of those and the wine (for some reason, I gradually gave up drinking at a certain age). I will definitely throw that idea in the hopper, as we have not focused much on Umbria other than the Deruta shopping.

Thanks again.

Eric

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deruta On Sunday

Eric: Like you I gave up drinking some time ago, but their olive oil is wonderful, and different. They provide single serving high grade olive oil and balsamic vinegar to the first class passengers on 22 international airlines. You can buy the little one ounce servings there to freeze, or whatever. We spent two weeks touring a lot of Umbria in September (and some of Tuscany) If there are any places or things you are interested in that I could help with, just post it here or send me a private message on the sidebar. Mike

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
70 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deruta On Sunday

Mike

Well we are big fans of good olive oil and balsamic vinegar, so this seems great. We are sort of the opposite of you -- we are spending most of our time in Tuscany, with only the two days in Deruta. We were supposed to go last year for my wife's 50th, which would have been celebrated in Deruta, but our younger daughter got very ill at trhe last moment. So we are having a postponed celebration this year. My wife, who is an art historian, has always wanted to see Florence and Tuscany, so we are spening most of our time there, but she also collects Deruta, so we are spending a little time there as well.

Other than the Deruta days, we have most things more or less planned (or my wife does. I mainly kibbitz). But if you have any thoughts on day trips from Siena, I would be pleased to hear them. We have ideas, but no real plans.

Thanks again,

Eric

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Deruta On Sunday

Enjoy! We loved Volterra as a medium sized town and the alabaster works {www.alabarte.com for instance) as well as the Etruscan influence. We thought visiting the abbey at Sant'Antimo about 20 Ks south of Montalcino with its perfect little valley setting and hearing the monks chant their prayers was an irreplaceable experience (www.antimo.it/). We loved Pienza and the Val D'Orcia to the south, market day was Wednesday when we were there with all the fresh and aged pecorino cheese. I could go on and on, but then you only have so much time. Have a wonderful trip.

Reply to: Deruta On Sunday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Deruta