We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days at aigle

Which Aigle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ahmedabad
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
10 days at aigle

i am in aigle from 20/5 to 30/5 and has planned

day 1 montreux,vevey ,wineyard walk

day 2 lake lemon boat ride to geneva need suggestion

day 3 visit to gruyere,brog ,gastad,zweismmen NEED SUGGEstn

day 4 visit to chamonix

day 5 leysin ,les diabretes

day6 zermatt need SUGGSTION

day 7 ,8,9,10 NEED SUGGESTIONS

dr yatin

7 replies to this topic
Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days at aigle

Take all three of Aigle's narrow gauge railways into the mountains all have unique destinations. At Les Diableretes you can continue your journey by bus to the Glacier 3000 or over the pass to Gstaad returning to Aigle via Montreux. If you have the time you can change trains in Montbovon for Gruyere and Broc and you can also do the trip in reverse direction. Zweisimmen can again be reached by taking a train eastwards from Gstaad.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,849 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days at aigle

If you want to take a boat on the Léman and go as far as Geneva you should be prepared (a) to change in Lausanne and (b) to return to Aigle by train. You can take a bus from Aigle to Villeneuve OR a train from Aigle to Montreux and board a boat there. One every couple of hours will go to Lausanne-Ouchy. Change there for Geneva. But check the schedules carefully! www.cgn.ch

For zermatt, if you can, spend at least one night. Weather is dodgy sometimes and it would be too bad to go all the way there and then not see the Matterhorn because of cloud. Anyway - train Aigle to Visp, change, train to Zermatt. Take the train across from the main station on arrival to the Gornrgrat. The views from there are spectacular. then come back down, walk around/through the village and go to winkelmattern for the Klein Matterhorn lifts. Go up there. then return to Aigle.

Spend a day here in Martigny. Lots of things to see and to do. See this for ideas: tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g580371-s4/Martigny…

Go to bern. Train to Lausanne, change for Bern. Spend the day there.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188052-c127052/Ber…

you might be interested in the Wine Museum in the château at Aigle, and also in either Aquapark and /or Swiss Vapeur Parc at le Bouveret.

Of all the places you list, I would not bother with Leysin. Not very nice place, no real centre and not much to see or do once you are there.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days at aigle

Don't be too hard on Leysin 'hambagahle' the train trip is very scenic and quite thrilling with very steep gradients.

The cable car up to La Berneuse is worth the trip with the fantastic views of the Dent du Midi though not sure if this will be open in May.

You can of course take the Bus from Leysin to Chateau D'Oex over the Col de Mosses which is closer to Montbovon than Gstaad.

ahmedabad
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days at aigle

Thnx hemaghdale and mostly train

I didn't understood bis from leysin to montobovan part

Dr yatin

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,063 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days at aigle

Hi Dr. yatin,

I would actually not rush through Montreux and Vevey and would do them on separate days.

I would spend one day in Montreux -- visiting the town, walking along the lake for 45 minutes (to Chillon), walking in the old town, visiting Chillon, having a meal at a lakeside cafe, sitting on a bench and soaking up the views.

I would also spend one day in Vevey and the vineyards. I would start by taking the train to Lutry and enjoying that really lovely lakeside town and visiting its historic buildings, then I would walk through the vineyards from Lutry to either Epesses, Cully, or Rivaz (1.5 to 2h). Then take the train to Vevey, and I would allocate a few hours to enjoy Vevey's old town and maybe 30 minutes to walk either to or from La Tour-de-Peilz. Have lunch or dinner in Vevey.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days at aigle

There is a bus from the Leysin Feydey stop to Le Sepey or Chateau D'Oex.

Some busses run through to CDO some require a change at Le Sepey.

Incidentley Le Sepey is a railway station on the Aigle Les Diablerets railway line giving another option for round trips.

Chateau D' Oex is a shorter distance than Gstaad from the railway junction at Montbovon leading onto Gruyeres, Bulle and Broc.

All that said the quickest way to Gruyeres is solely by train by way of Montreux and Montbovon.

As you can see there are many different combinations of routes you can have in this area. The public transport is excellent the fun if using the Swiss pass is is trying to combine as many less obvious routes as you can!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,849 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days at aigle

MBT - it is the vilage of Leysin I don't like. A real "dogs dinner" sprawling over the hillside with those former sanatoria dotted about like huge lumps of concrete. Some now used as hotel schools etc.. Having been there several times and despairing of finding a real "centre" to the village that I could walk about in (very hilly place too!!) I rang the Tourist Office and asked for their suggestions. And was told that Leysin has no real defineable centre!!

Dr Yatin . the walk through the vineyards that Swandav describes is lovely but if you don't get relatively high up on the hillside you miss the best views. Depending on how fit you are you might consider walking up from Cully to Chexbres. OR take the little train from Vevey t Chexbres and walk down to St saphorin. St Saphorin is one of the prettiest villages in the whole area and has two really nice restaurants - l'Auberge de l'Onde whch is an old "classic" and the tiny Café du Raisin which is very quirky and has decent filets de perche (local lake fish). you need a reservation at both. If you are walking uphill, then a table for lunch on the terrace of the Baron Tavernier in Chexbres will give you one of the most fabulous views of the entire Lavaux, the lake and the French Alps beyond.

Reply to: 10 days at aigle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted