We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malpensa airport...timing for transfer to stresa

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
226 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
malpensa airport...timing for transfer to stresa

approximately how much time should I allow to get through customs and collect baggage after 8:50pm arrival?

I'm trying to work out if I have enough time to get a taxi to Gallerate Rail Station still in time to catch a late train to Stresa. Otherwise I'll have to catch a taxi from airport to Stresa which is pretty expensive.

Thanks

Garry

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
11,878 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: malpensa airport...timing for transfer to stresa

Per www.trenitalia.com, the latest departure from Gallarate to Stresa is at 22.00 (sharp). You should be able to make it, but barely.

Belgirate
Level Contributor
1 post
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: malpensa airport...timing for transfer to stresa

check the ALIBUS website-to/from Lago Maggiore/Malpensa-excellent service but you have to book the day before.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,878 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: malpensa airport...timing for transfer to stresa

#2, the only reason why I didn't mention the Alibus service is that the latest departure from MXP is at 20.30, i.e. before OP's arrival.

timetable: safduemila.com/alibus_malpensa_lago_maggiore…

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
226 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: malpensa airport...timing for transfer to stresa

Thanks....unfortunately the 22:00 train from Gallarate is my only option other than a taxi. If the flight is on time and I get out of customs/baggage in quick time I've got a chance, otherwise I'll just have to get a taxi.

How long would the taxi take from airport to Gallarate train station at that time of night?

Garry

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,878 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: malpensa airport...timing for transfer to stresa

It won't take long -- if you care to look it up on google maps, it's only about 11 km.

6. Re: malpensa airport...timing for transfer to stresa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Lake Maggiore