We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open air markets

California
Level Contributor
357 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Open air markets

We are interested in visiting open air markets (mainly food) in the Lake Maggiore region on either a Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. Could you provide the name of the towns, the days of their open air markets and the locations?

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Open air markets

Market days are:

Monday - Baveno

Tuesday - Arona

Both only on in the morning.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,042 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Open air markets

Market in Baveno:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187847-i853-k4619…

And a blog you may find interesting….

Market Towns:

…blogspot.com/2009/06/market-towns.html

Vagabonda

California
Level Contributor
357 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Open air markets

Thank you!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,042 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Open air markets

Prego TravelingTraveler - My pleasure!

Enjoy....

Vagabonda

California
Level Contributor
357 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Open air markets

Vagabonda, the pictures of the Sunday market in Cannobio are wonderful. I want to go there. We are staying in Stresa on Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights.

We would like to go to the Cannobio market early Sunday, leaving Stresa around 8 am. What public transportation will take us there? We'd like to return to Stresa by noon at the latest. In the afternoon, we want to visit the three islas near Stresa (using a combo ticket with the Lake Maggiore Express tour that we plan to take on Monday). Will this work?

Do you happen to know what the open air market schedule is for Lake Como? After leaving Lake Maggiore, we are spending three nights in Varenna.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,042 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Open air markets

You haven’t indicated your dates of travel TravelingTraveler, but if visiting in summer, the boat schedules aren’t yet available from Stresa to Canobbio.

Last year, a fast boat departed Stresa at 10.00 and arrived in Canobbio at 10.55. The return was at 17.23.

There is no bus from Stresa to Canobbio.

Your best option may be the boat from Stresa to Intra, and then the bus from Intra to Canobbio. Bus schedules also aren't yet available for summer.

http://www.vcotrasporti.it/HomePage.aspx

You can search for markets on Lake Como on this site – Scroll down to “Mercati e Mercatini” on the drop-down menu. You can sort by town and month.

www.lakecomo.it/manifestazioni_ed_eventi

Regards,

Vagabonda

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Open air markets

@Vagabondo: Boat schedules from Stresa to Canobbio are on-line at the Navigazione Laghi site for dept/arrivals up until 31/5. Thereafter we are not sure of the situation as the Lake Maggiore Navigation is having money problems and they still haven't decided what will be going on after 31/5.

FYI: They have drastically reduced ferries. We used to have 31 trips to the Islands from Stresa - they have now been reduced to just 18.

@Traveling Traveler. If you will be here before 31/5 then you'd have to take the Hydrofoil from stresa in the morning and spend all day in Canobbio unfortunately. Alternatively boat to Intra then Bus to Canobbio.

STRESA

California
Level Contributor
357 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Open air markets

We are going to be in the lakes region beginning May 5. Is the 10 am boat running? Our problem would be getting back to Stresa with enough time to visit the three islas. How many hours do you think it will take to visit them? I guess we could always do the visit on Tuesday morning before we leave for Varenna.

Is there no major train line running up towards Switzerland that we could take and then connect to Cannobio by bus?

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Open air markets

No, the 10am boat isn't running as far as I am aware unfortunately....

You will need 2 hrs Isola Bella

20 mins to walk around Isola Pescatori but I would stop for lunch here

1 and a half hours at Isola Madre. But it takes 30 mins from Isola Pescatori to Isola madre to give you an idea.

No train for canobbio I'm afraid. But to be honest the markets are pretty much the same with generally the same stalls at each place....maybe a bit bigger in Canobbio than Stresa only because there is more space that is all. I'd go for the market in Arona which is best reached by train.....but you can come back by boat and also take a look at Arona.

I'd never really recommend all 3 islands in one day as it is a bit much but if time is limited then go for it.

STRESA

California
Level Contributor
357 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Open air markets

Thank you Vagabonda and Stresa. Maybe we'll do all three islas on Sunday, do the Lake Maggiore Express with friends on Monday and go to the market in Arona on Tuesday morning. This is a bit saner schedule. When we arrive on Saturday around noon, we can walk around Stresa, maybe go up the mountain on the funicular and plan out the rest of our days over lunch and dinner.

I'm sorry to hear that the ferry is facing financial difficulties.

Get answers to your questions about Lake Maggiore
Recent Conversations