We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near enough to MPX but also good for Maggiore

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel near enough to MPX but also good for Maggiore

I've got two nights free, but the morning after my second night we have an 11:00 flight back to the US. I believe this means we need to be at the airport for check in at 8:00. We will also have a rental car to return. Obviously we don't want to have any problems that would mean we'd miss our flight, and we're a bit nervous about getting messed up on the roads and getting lost (we've had plenty of these experiences).

Is there an interesting, and not horribly expensive, place to stay that would work for two nights? Or, would we be better off just staying one night by the lake and then at a hotel somewhere close to the airport? I recall once reading here about a lodging that is 12 kilometers from the airport that is nice but is more than just a standard off the highway airport hotel. Anyone know what this might be?

Thanks much.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near enough to MPX but also good for Maggiore

Perhaps instead consider returning the car at Malpensa just prior to your last two nights and then take the convenient Alibus service from Malpensa to Stresa for those two nights.

safduemila.com/files/alibus-2013.3.28-9.30--…

Otherwise, consider Sesto Calende, but Stresa offers so much more - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187829-i142-k6198…

Vagabonda

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near enough to MPX but also good for Maggiore

Vagabonda--

Thanks much. I am debating about Stresa. Are there any smaller towns south of Stresa on the lake that would be a bit less of a drive than the hour from Stresa? We don't always need the biggest tourist center and would be fine with a smaller town with a nice B & B type place.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,862 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near enough to MPX but also good for Maggiore

Prego juliest,

You might consider Arona, but only about a 20-minute savings in time - Perhaps Welshtraveller111's trip report would assist.

Lake Maggiore & Milan Trip Report with photos (June 2012):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g663877-i14128-k55…

Vagabonda

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near enough to MPX but also good for Maggiore

What about staying in Orta San Giulio on Lago d'Orta? This is a beautiful area and only about 50 minutes to MXP.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,862 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near enough to MPX but also good for Maggiore

Orta San Giulio is a little gem and far preferred to Arona and even Sesto Calende!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187843-i852-k3070…

Vagabonda

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel near enough to MPX but also good for Maggiore

I think we are just going to do the Stresa since it looks as though the autostrada is right there. thanks for all of the ideas.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,862 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel near enough to MPX but also good for Maggiore

Stresa really makes the most sense, especially with the Alibus service if you decide to return the car early.

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel near enough to MPX but also good for Maggiore

Hi Juliest, I've slept over one night before to answer your topic.

The town of Meina could be your ideal solution as it offers the lowest accommodation rates of all the Piedmontese side of the lake Maggiore and you could easily drive behind the Alibus leaving Meina at 6.42 arriving at Malpensa at 7.30

www.distrettolaghi.it

9. Re: Hotel near enough to MPX but also good for Maggiore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2014, 06:16