We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week trip to the lakes

Manchester
Level Contributor
60 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
2 week trip to the lakes

Hi!

Looking for advice of how to carve up a 2 week holiday wanting to see all 3 Lakes. We have 2 small children with us under 4.

Would like to do a mix of sightseeing, boat trips and relaxing by the lake

Transport will be by train and boat - is this the best way or should we hire a car?

We would really appreciate advice on best base to stay at Lake Garda, Como and Maggiore and how long you would advice in each?

We will be travelling in June, flying into Venice and out of Milan.

Many thanks everyone!

Oxford, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week trip to the lakes

If you take trains, you wil need to travel into Milan and out again each time but I don't think it's quicker by car. There are English journey planners on Trenitalia.it and ferry timetables on navlaghi.it in English.

Manchester
Level Contributor
60 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week trip to the lakes

Thanks for this info!

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,353 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week trip to the lakes

If you're flying into Venice, you could go by train to Lake Garda via Verona, then to go Lake Como or Maggiore you would have to go to Milan. Stresa on Lake Maggiore and Varenna on Lake Como are just an hour long train ride from Milan.

To have a relaxing holiday with two young children under four years plus luggage to haul around, I would choose to stay at two lakes rather than three. Lake Garda is an obvious choice as you're arriving in Venice, then you can chose between lakes Como and Maggiore. My personal choice would be the mid lake towns of Lake Como, the scenery is absolutely stunning - but I said, that's just my personal choice.

Manchester
Level Contributor
60 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week trip to the lakes

Thanks so much for this, I think we will take your advice 2 lakes sounds more relaxing!

Thanks again

5. Re: 2 week trip to the lakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 10:26
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 week trip to the lakes

I would also opt for 2 lakes, 3 is too much! And you can very easily go to Lago Maggiore from Lago di Como.

A car is highly recommended with kids - you will be able to move around and visit the different villages around the lake.

There are plenty of trips you can do: of course a couple of boat trips are a must, but if you are looking for something different to entertain the kids, there is plenty to choose from!

For instance, if your kids like animals, I would highly recommend visiting this Donkey Sanctuary, which is not too far away from Lago di Como

http://www.ilrifugiodegliasinelli.org/en

It is an English charity and they are doing an amazing job in Italy. And the donkeys are so cute and so kids friendly!!!! And you can do some shopping in Biella, which is much cheaper than any of the towns on the Lake!

7. Re: 2 week trip to the lakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:15