We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

multi city air travel

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
205 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
multi city air travel

Hello,

We want to spend 3 night on LEI in September 2014 after our arrival from California on 2 September. We will spend our first few days in Sydney and I found a Virgin Airline flight to Hervey Bay that might work. Of course I need to confirm the flight to LEI but upon leaving LEI we would like to fly to Canberra or Melbourne without going back to Sydney. I have looked at the websites of Qantas, Virgin, Airnorth and Skywest. None seem to provide what we seek. Are there other options or should I re-think this plan? As I understand, flights from LEI only go to Hervey Bay, Bundaberg, Coolangatta and Redcliffe. Any help will be greatly appreciated! We have chosen LEI because the coral reef is right on the beach.

Thanks!

14 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,376 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: multi city air travel

LEI is pretty small, only 110 acres in total - wikipedia indicates that the island has a small eco resort and an airstrip serviced daily by flights from Bundaberg, Hervey Bay, Brisbane and the Gold Coast - so you may be out of luck for Canberra or Melbourne.

Try a multi airline site such as skyscanner.com - I have found that this often provides a much wider range of flights that are available from point to point, without having to guess what your options are.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: multi city air travel

The flights from LEI generally just hop across the water from either Bundaberg or Hervey Bay. This is a very short flight on a small light aircraft. It is a very pretty flight.

Depending on numbers, the plane just calls in at Bundaberg, before continuing on the few minutes down to Hervey Bay.

The people who run the resort also run the charter operation. Other charter operations fly there too. The flights run as scheduled by the resort, and you won't find them on any commercial schedule.

If you do fly to the Gold Coast you'll be able to fly direct from there to Melbourne or Canberra.

I'd think this would be more expensive than flying to the coast, and hopping the cheapest flight to your destination via Hervey Bay or Bundaberg. But it is easy enough to check.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: multi city air travel

Kerry, LEI's flights are privately operated in contract to the island resort and aren't available through normal booking sites. You book the flights when booking your accommodation.

Rubi, if you wanted the fewest flight transfers you could fly from LEI to Gold Coast, and connect there on a flight on Qantas/Jetstar or Virgin Australia to Canberra or Melbourne. However, have you looked at the cost of flights to LEI - http://www.ladyelliot.com.au/content/flights . It's much more cost effective to go to Bundaberg or Hervey Bay.

I think your most reasonable option is LEI -> Bundaberg -> Brisbane -> (Canberra/Melbourne). Bundaberg flights are on QantasLink (division of Qantas) only.

The other option is: LEI -> Hervey Bay -> Brisbane/Sydney -> Canberra/Melbourne. The Virgin flights here may be cheaper but the timing is wrong and you probably have to spend a night in Hervey Bay.

Coordinating the schedules is tricky. However I found the following which will get you there on the same day as long as it's on a weekday:

www.ladyelliot.com.au/content/flight-schedule

SE 921, departs LEI 11:00 AM, arrives Bundaberg 11:40 AM

www.qantas.com.au

QF 2329, departs Bundaberg 14:05, arrives Brisbane 15:00

From there, many options for Brisbane-> Melbourne or Brisbane->Canberra flights.

Be sure to book the Bundaberg -> Canberra/Melbourne as one Qantas ticket to save money and guarantee a connection.

Also, regarding the subject of your email, usually for domestic travel in AU there is no advantage to a multi-city itinerary on the same airline compared to buying individual one-way tickets.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 02:27
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
205 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: multi city air travel

Hi,

Thanks for your response. We just would prefer not to backtrack to Sydney to continue on our trip. We hope to see LEI, Canberra, Melbourne, some or all of the Great Ocean Road, which of course may or may not include Adelaide and then return to Sydney for a few days prior to our flight home.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: multi city air travel

The option I suggested via Bundaberg and Brisbane did not involve backtracking to Sydney.

Even if you did have to change planes in Sydney airport I am not sure why that is a big problem? Changing in Sydney or Brisbane is not going to make that big a difference - they are both simply airports, every airport in the world looks alike :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: multi city air travel

You're talking tiny airports (LEI is just some grass and a dunny), and Hervey Bay and Bundaberg are some asphalt and a shed. If you fly there, you'll have to transit through Brisbane or Sydney, and without checking the prices, I'd put a fair bet on Sydney being a cheaper transit. I don't think you should care too much about what airport you transit through. You won't be able to fly direct any case, so all you are talking about is which transit area you spend a couple of hours in.

Your alternative is to fly the charter from to the Gold Coast, and fly direct from there. You'll save some time, and one transit, but it'll cost you.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,605 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: multi city air travel

Sydney is basically on the way from LEI to Canberra ... how is it backtracking? There are few direct Brisbane-Canberra flights, most require a stop in Sydney except in peak periods.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
205 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: multi city air travel

I didn't think Canberra was in a direct line from Sydney vie LEI. That is why I posted. I know it is always best to check with the locals. Australia is a huge country and I realize that the areas I plan to cover are large. Thank you to everyone for advice.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,136 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: multi city air travel

As mentioned by others LEI is just a tiny airport so you will need to go back to Brisbane / Bundaberg / Hervey Bay or Coolangatta to get a flight to Canberra. If you do have to go via Sydney it will only be a short walk through the terminal to get onto another flight to Canberra.

IMO; you would be best to fly LEI via Brisbane to Canberra if the flights connect or just go via Sydney as you have plenty of flight options.

Flights from SYD to Canberra with Qantas leave every 30mins & takes 55mins so you have plenty of options regarding what flight you want.

Flights from Brisbane to Canberra - with Qantas - only a few - 8.35am / 2.10pm / 6.40pm / 7.10pm & take 1.55mins.

Flights from Bundaberg to Canberra go via Sydney or Brisbane.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
205 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: multi city air travel

Thank you for a very helpful note. So many details and so much so see and do.

Reply to: multi city air travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lady Elliot Island
More Lady Elliot Island Topics