We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about terrorism on Siquijor

CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Question about terrorism on Siquijor

We are white Americans and I am taking my family (with two small children) to vacation on Siqiujor in April, and suddenly I am wondering if I am putting them/us in harm's way due to the proximity of Mindanao, etc.. I never worried about this traveling on Palawan without kids and in Sierra Leone right around the Civil War... but all of a sudden I am concerned. Can anyone tell me about the degree of terrorist risk on and around Siquijor? I am being ridiculous, right?

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about terrorism on Siquijor

right.

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about terrorism on Siquijor

just because its near to mindanao doesnt necessarily mean its unsafe ,ive been to mindanao several times and never had any issues.

Palawan Island...
Level Contributor
71 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about terrorism on Siquijor

Its definitely safe in siquijor. . . The island has many things to offer including beaches. . U can also go to other places like dumaguete and negros. Do not wori for terorism since it is very far from southern mindanao.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about terrorism on Siquijor

ive never been to siquijor. but ive been to davao in mindanao--and ive never felt so safe. also siquijor is near bohol and cebu. ive been to both and i can tell you that there were plenty of "white" families on holiday there, specially in bohol with kids in tow. from what i heard,siquijor is even more laid back

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,840 posts
1,983 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about terrorism on Siquijor

I have just had my second trip to Siquijor.

The island is idyllic.

I hired a multi-cab for the standard circumference of the island day tour. I did what I liked (visiting the great but small butterfly sanctuary up the mountain: a must see: see my review on TA) and various beaches. It was great. I stayed at Coco Grove.

Terrorism was a problem some years ago if I recall but thankfully those days have long passed.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,888 posts
1,619 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about terrorism on Siquijor

Siquijor is one of the most peaceful islands you will ever visit.

Im also waiting for a reply from Papalo who also loves this island as well as his beloved Dumugette.

Tommo

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,315 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about terrorism on Siquijor

Other view, yes its safe as is Boracay. Terrorists dont attack tourists in not safe areas en masse as there are none or few for the most part. Lets always keep in mind that the safer a place appears the better target it appears, just like Bali in the past. Never be lulled into thinking, based on recent experiences that a place is totally safe.

With that said, I agree with the others, its a great place and the worst terrorism you will find there may be the bug kind :-) biting you or the children. I dont think you have any worries, just enjoy it. We travel all thru the Philippines including Mindanao and as of now no problems. We do avoid places that are crowded with foreigners as a precaution such as bars etc but that is just us and a precaution we take. I think your family will have great time.

fairfield...
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about terrorism on Siquijor

....Siquijor Island is absolutely safe. The only terrorist you'll encounter will be the tricycle driver trying to squeeze slightly more peso than the normal going rate. (don't worry, they're friendly and nicest people in the Visayas).

....enjoy Siquijor, also known as the magical and mystical island of the Philippines. I fell in love with the island, I bought a beach front property and, hopefully, will build a vacation chalet (bahay kubo in local lingo, ...lol).

Papalo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,888 posts
1,619 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about terrorism on Siquijor

Great Papalo Ill have somewhere to stay next time!

Tommo

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about terrorism on Siquijor

Papalo,

Any friendship price for us for your upcoming chalets? :P

Get answers to your questions about Siquijor Island