We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing from Frontera Corozal, Mexico to Bethel, Guatemala

Spain
Level Contributor
78 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing from Frontera Corozal, Mexico to Bethel, Guatemala

I am staying at Escudo Jaguar Hotel in Frontera Corozal, Mexico; and hope to cross over by boat to Bethel, on 5th Oct'12. The only information I can get is, that it will costs me 400 pesos for the river crossing to the Guatemala side. Has anyone done this trip recently please and how much did it cost, if so ?

Greatly appreciate some information.

Thank you.

San Cristobal de...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing from Frontera Corozal, Mexico to Bethel, Guatemala

I have done it a few times and honestly can't remember how much it was but $400.00 pesos sounds hi. I believe you can book a tour from Palenque to Flores for that price.

Spain
Level Contributor
78 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing from Frontera Corozal, Mexico to Bethel, Guatemala

Thank you for confirming. Yes, they all are asking around 300-400. pesos. Do you know what time the bus leaves Bethel in the morning for Flores and ??? afternoon. Thanks for you help.

San Cristobal de...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing from Frontera Corozal, Mexico to Bethel, Guatemala

$400.00 pesos for Palenque to Flores or $400 to cross the river. If its to Flores then that is a good price. If you book a trip out of Palenque they leave about 6.00am and should arrive at FC around 8 or 9:00 to cross to Bethel. It takes around 1 hour for everyone to check through customs. Its a long VERYrough ride to Bethel and you should arrive around 3:30pm. I may be a little off but thats what my memory tells me.

Spain
Level Contributor
78 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing from Frontera Corozal, Mexico to Bethel, Guatemala

thanks

New Delhi
Level Contributor
3 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing from Frontera Corozal, Mexico to Bethel, Guatemala

Just did this crossing two days ago. The Mexican immigration at Frontera Corozal detained us for a while as our passports did not have an entry stamp into Mexico. We explained that when we entered from Tijuana two weeks ago, there were no immigration officials there. He let us off without a penalty. First we took a boat to Yaxchilan, an ancient Mayan site on this side of Usumacinta River, and then sailed an hour upstream to Bethel where we were received cordially by the lone Guatemalan immigration officer. They charge US $ 5 for entry. The first 57 km of the 136 km distance to Flores is on unpaved, potholed - but scenic - track that takes two hours to traverse. In Bethel public transport is undependable. Best to go through a tour operator for a smooth, hassle-free exit and entry. Prices are reasonable.

6. Re: Crossing from Frontera Corozal, Mexico to Bethel, Guatemala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 06:21