We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week Itinerary review: Mexico DF->Oaxaca->Yucatan

London, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
2 week Itinerary review: Mexico DF->Oaxaca->Yucatan

Hi

Me and wife are planning a 2 week trip to Mexico during Xmas/New Year (Dec 23-Jan6). We fly in and out of Mexico city and have 14 days in all other than our flying days. After reading a lot on LP and TA, I have finally come up with an itinerary and still have some questions ????

To begin with, I ideally wanted to do Mexico city->Oaxaca->San Cristobal->Palenque->Merida->Playa->Mexico

But looking at info in posted forums and long bus journeys from Oaxaca to Chiapas, I thought taking it easy and spending more time at each place

Mexico city->Oaxaca->Playa/Cozumel->Mexico city

Day 1/2/3/4/5 - Mexico City

Day 5 overnight - Transfer to Oaxaca using ADO Platino bus

Day 6/7/8 - Oaxaca city

Day 9 - Fly to Cancun/Cozumel via Mexico DF by Interjet

Day 9/10/11/12/13 - Playa/Cozumel/Merida (relaxing/diving)

Day 14 - Fly back from Merida to Mexico DF and catch evening flight back home

Could the experts please give an opinion on the itinerary and answer my questions:

1. Are 5 days in Mexico city OK or can I reduce 1 day and add somewhere else ?

2. Have I chosen correctly of including Oaxaca rather than San Cristobal and Palenque (Chiapas) ??

I read on forums and it turns out people prefer Oaxaca to San Cristobal. BUT I REALLY WANTED TO DO PALENQUE (which turns out to be in middle of nowhere :(

3. Since it is New Years time, should I rather go to Playa/Cozumel first and then Oaxaca ? We are not die-hard party animals and thought Yucatan would be too crowded on New Years . Any suggestions ?

4. Is Palenque really not-to-be-missed ?? Any possibility to include Palenque at the end and fly back from Villahermosa to Mexico city ? Or since I am not doing Palenque, what other Mayan sites could make up for it ??

Sorry for bombarding with many questions but I need to decide on this asap so as to finalize my bookings.

Thanks much for help

Adi

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week Itinerary review: Mexico DF->Oaxaca->Yucatan

I haven't been to Oaxaca, so I can't compare directly, except that it seems to be apples and oranges.

But, I think you certainly wouldn't be making a mistake to prioritize Palenque. The ruins there are outstanding--perhaps the most graceful and artistically refined of all Mayan sites. The setting in the jungle hills is also spectacular.

Moreover, you can do the excellent day trip of Bonampak and Yaxchilan, which add to both the Mayan experience and your sense of adventure.

If you really, really want to do Palenque, do it.

In my opinion, no Mayan site in Mexico compares to Palenque+Yaxchilan+Bonampak--they're just a different level of achievement from what you find in the Yucatan.

San Cristobal de...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week Itinerary review: Mexico DF->Oaxaca->Yucatan

I agree with the guy above. Palenque is a Maya site like no other and taking a side trip to Yaxchillan and Bonampak are special. Just to get to Yaxchillan you have to take a 1 hour boat trip up the Usamacinta river to get to the jungle site. There are birds and howler monkeys. Many people have said it is the highlight of their trip. Don't miss it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week Itinerary review: Mexico DF->Oaxaca->Yucatan

Any ideas on where to stay in Palenque?

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week Itinerary review: Mexico DF->Oaxaca->Yucatan

We really enjoyed Hotel Nututun.

5. Re: 2 week Itinerary review: Mexico DF->Oaxaca->Yucatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2013, 09:15