We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice for 16 days in Chiapas in August

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice for 16 days in Chiapas in August

Flying in and out of Villahermosa. Planning La Venta Park (Olmecs), Palenque and San Cristobal. We have a car and 16 days. I speak Spanish and am very comfortable in Mexico. Any advice on what to else to see in area / itinerary suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,286 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice for 16 days in Chiapas in August

Moon Chiapas is an excellent guidebook with deeper-than-usual coverage of things to do. There was enough in there to keep me occupied for several weeks.

San Cristobal de...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice for 16 days in Chiapas in August

I would suggest Palenque, Yaxchillan, and Bonampak. From San Cristobal de las Casas I would suggest Cañon Sumidero, El Chiflon, Chamula and Zinacantan. When driving keep a eye out for Tope's (Speed Bumps.)

Edited: 07 July 2013, 17:32
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice for 16 days in Chiapas in August

Bought the book. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice for 16 days in Chiapas in August

Thanks for the suggestions! Sound great! Any thoughts on the pacific coast of Chiapas? Is there any place you would recommend?

BC
Level Contributor
4,333 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice for 16 days in Chiapas in August

Lucky you!

I visited in February for 15 nights, had a great time. Don't miss El Chiflon, and if you have a car you should be able to see the Lakes (we didn't get to go there).

You will have plenty to do in the interior area without heading down to the coast. I like Moon guides, too.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice for 16 days in Chiapas in August

I spent 8 days in April, and was mostly around San Cristobal. I did day trips to Chiapa de Corzo, and spent a couple of days in Comitan. I did the typical stuff including Canon Sumidero, San Juan Chamula/Zinacantan, visiting churches and markets, etc. I didn't make it to Palenque. I also used the Moon guide heavily. I wrote some stuff about what I saw here:

…blogspot.com/search/label/Chiapas

San Cristobal de...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice for 16 days in Chiapas in August

The pacific coast is to far for the time you have.

8. Re: Need advice for 16 days in Chiapas in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Chiapas