We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from San Cristobal to Cancun over 2 weeks

Margaret River...
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from San Cristobal to Cancun over 2 weeks

We have two weeks to travel from Oaxaca via San Cristobal to catch a plane in Cancun. Would like to see Palenque and maybe join a wildlife tour along the way. Don't want to stay in Cancun and hope to find a quiet beach area within reach of the airport for a few days. Any recommendation for travel and accommodation would be appreciated.

Jay

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Palenque
Palenque
Chiapas, Mexico
Las 3 Tzimoleras
Nature & Wildlife Tours
Viajes Itzaa
Nature & Wildlife Tours
Natutours
Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
San Cristobal de...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from San Cristobal to Cancun over 2 weeks

Two weeks is plenty of time to visit from SC to Cancun. · 3 or 4 days in SC. There is much to do in SC. Take to bus to Palenque. 1 day at the ruins, 1 day to visit Yaxchillan and Bonampak, and 1 or two days to visit Agua Azul and Misol Ha. I can't speak for the Cancun area except to say Isla Muries is a nice not so touristy place. Use this site to find hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Palenque
Palenque
Chiapas, Mexico
Bonampak
Bonampak
141 Reviews
Tuxtla Gutierrez, Mexico
Agua Azul
Agua Azul
174 Reviews
Chiapas, Mexico
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,896 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from San Cristobal to Cancun over 2 weeks

Oaxaca, San Cristobal, and Merida are all highlights along your path. Try not to hurry through any of them; personally I've given each one an entire vacation of its own, or two.

The Moon guidebooks to Oaxaca and Yucatan Peninsula (book includes Chiapas) are both excellent and full of detail, and Moon Chiapas is also great for more in-depth coverage. Check your library.

Puerto Morelos is an agreeable, small fishing/tourist town near the Cancun airport. Or just stay by the Cancun bus station (Rey del Caribe) your last night and catch the ADO shuttle.

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Chiapas
Chiapas
Southern Mexico, Mexico
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Ado
Ado
594 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from San Cristobal to Cancun over 2 weeks

I know you said you didn't want to do Cancun but there are some great places around. As mentioned above Isla Mujeres is absolutely beautiful just 30min ferry ride from Cancun. Also Puerto Morelos which is 30mins south of Cancun however the beaches are not as beautiful as Cancun, where you can find beaches that are not packed with tourists! I live in Cancun so I can point you in the right direction!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Margaret River...
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from San Cristobal to Cancun over 2 weeks

Many thanks for all the advice. I have now booked 5 days at Belas b&b in San Cristobal and find the our visit coincides with the pre lent festival in the nearby villages. We will do a day at the ruins in Palenque and another for Bonampak then have a couple of days to reach Puerto Morales where we've booked Casa Caribe which sounds nice for 3 nights. Only problem is the long bus journeys but that can't be avoided!

Mentioned in this post
Palenque
Palenque
Chiapas, Mexico
Bonampak
Bonampak
141 Reviews
Tuxtla Gutierrez, Mexico
Harpswell, Maine
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from San Cristobal to Cancun over 2 weeks

Isla Mujeres is so great. I went there for the first time in October because I was going to Chiapas and flew in/out thru Cancun. I didn't want to stay in Cancun either. I was surprised by how much I liked Isla. Really quiet, walkable (aside from the intense heat), lovely beaches, friendly people, safe and low key. I'm actually going back in April because my stay was so short. There are hotels and things up in the Centro part of the island (which caters more to tourists but still is not at the crazy level of Cancun), but I stayed at Casa Azul apartments mid-island. There's another similar place on the same street as Casa Azul called Casa Suaste that is a similar set up and price range. Btw, I saw women from San Juan Chamula living and working on Isla and Cancun -- they still wore their trademark heavy skirts and satin tops despite the big difference in climate.

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Chiapas
Chiapas
Southern Mexico, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
The Fives Azul Beach Resort Playa Del Carmen
The Fives Azul Beach...
8,165 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
6. Re: Travel from San Cristobal to Cancun over 2 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Chiapas