We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intro to Scuba Class near Bodden Town

Which Bodden Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
north conway
Level Contributor
31 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Intro to Scuba Class near Bodden Town

Can anyone suggest a Intro to Scuba class that would be close to Bodden Town? We are staying at the Turtles Nest Inn. Also looking for a class our 9 and 13 year old could take while we are diving.

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intro to Scuba Class near Bodden Town

I am not a diver, but I have heard good things about Ocean Frontiers, a dive op east of Bodden Town (near East End) and an easy drive from Turtle Nest Inn:

http://www.oceanfrontiers.com

www.oceanfrontiers.com/padi-dive-school.html

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,436 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intro to Scuba Class near Bodden Town

Ocean Frontiers is a good option and so is Tortuga Divers (I'm guessing you have a car). You might also be able to arrange something through Red Sail Sports for pick up at Rum Point. Your 13 year old is old enough to do the intro with you however you would have to make other arrangements for your 9 year old. The starting age is 10 and no one worth their salt would put a younger child in the water with scuba gear. I'm not sure if that is the type of "class" you were asking about. He/she could do something like Bubbles and you might find a place that does it by googling. However, other than paying a sitter your options for the 9 year old will be limited as I don't think the TNI has a kid's camp. Overall diving in GC is world class and you really cannot go wrong with any of the ops. Several do arrange pick up and drop off but unfortunately this is pretty much limited to the SMB area. The Intro is usually split into two parts, the a.m. being an introduction to the gear etc., and then a 50ft dive in the afternoon. You would therefore have to make arrangements for pretty much the day for your 9 year old. Good luck!

Kansas
Level Contributor
580 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Intro to Scuba Class near Bodden Town

Like MidwestAnnie, I am not a diver but do have personal experience with the Red Sail Sports 'Resort course'. My son took the course when he was 15 and loved it so much he has since completed the Padi e-learning course and is working on his open water certification with Red Sail. Even though we stay at Rum Point, Red Sail diving courses are given through Tortuga Divers at Morritt's. As Retrip stated, your 9 year old is too young for the diving course but Red Sail does offer a Bubblemaker course for 8-10 year olds. It is only a one hour activity and I suspect a parent must accompany minors of this young age. They specifically asked my son's age when I enrolled him but since the rest of the family intended to hang out with him all day anyway it wasn't an issue for us. A suggestion would be for one parent to do the Resort course with the 13 year old and the other parent to be with the 9 year old. There is a beach, a restaurant and a bar & grill on the dock where those completing the early course could hang out. Red Sail offers the Resort Course and the Bubblemaker course. I would also encourage you to contact Clive Webb with the specifics of your situation and ask if there are any other options. They are fantastic to work with and I suspect Ocean Frontiers would be also from my impression following their website and FB page. Our non-diving family members were allowed to accompany our Resort Diver on the dive trip as snorkelers (for a reasonable fee) which was great fun for all of us. cwebb@redsailcayman.com

That said, I see on Ocean Frontiers website they offer a Bubblemaker activity and also a Seal Team adventure that my boys would have loved at that younger age. Again, I would check with them personally regarding your specifics and determine what they may offer.

I would also suggest that you check into the medical release form required for anyone diving to ensure you have no issues that require a signature from your family Dr. My son had one of the issues on the list that requires physician approval so I printed off the medical release form from the dive company and dropped by the office for a simple signature from Dr. It could have been an issue if I had waited to do so until we arrived on island.

north conway
Level Contributor
31 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Intro to Scuba Class near Bodden Town

Thank you so much for the valuable info!!

Reply to: Intro to Scuba Class near Bodden Town
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bodden Town
More Bodden Town Topics