We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skala on Sunday!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Skala on Sunday!

Hello everyone!

I have been reading this forum diligently for the past 4 months since we booked our holiday and am very excited. I love all the stories, advice and anecdotes you have all provided - thank you!! We are booked into the Crystal Palace studios (after much studying of options, prices and reviews this was by far the best option for the two of us!)

I have a general question about Skala however. We seem to be booked on the first flight of the season out of Manchester, and I noticed some hotels had no availability in early May - I am guessing this is because they open a little bit later in the year than the Crystal Palace. Because it is early in the season, will there be places open to eat / visit / see / do? My concern is only one or two places will be open in the evening and the option we chose of a relatively-quiet-definately-not-british-lager-lout themed holiday will be a VERY quiet holiday.

You thoughts / comments / questions are appreciated.

Thank you,

Becky

redditch
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skala on Sunday!

i am sure you will have a great time ,we went last september and loved skala, it is a very laid back place ,but also it is a working village and on an evening in the square the local families will meet up and chat and the children will be playing and this goes on till late evening and also the locals use the restaurants so even if early may is a little quiet on the tourist front i am sure you will have a lovely time,i am sure most the restaruants will be open ,we never had a bad meal, but i have to say try socrates,it is a typically family run taverna and the food is fab and they make you feel special

hope you have a great time

Andy

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skala on Sunday!

Hi there

What with the current economic crisis in Greece, I'm sure most businesses will be waiting for day one of the season to open their doors and raise the shutters so I don't think for one moment that you will find yourselves in a "ghost town".

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skala on Sunday!

We arrived on the first flight of the season around 4 years ago and pretty much everything was open as normal, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Hope you have a lovely time.

Woodbridge, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skala on Sunday!

We arrived in Katelios on 7th May last year. Nearly all the tavernas were open, just one or two still closed, and Skala is bigger so will have more to choose from anyway. It was fairly quiet though - just means you'll have more room to yourselves!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skala on Sunday!

Wow - so many replies, thank you! Just a shame I had to wait til I got home before I could read them (work always gets in the way of things). I am now getting to that very annoying, excitable state. I will look up Socrates when we are there. Laid back is exactly what we are looking for.

Becky

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Skala on Sunday!

Oh you lucky thing!

We stayed with Nick and co at the Crystal Palace last June and had such a relaxing and fantastic time. The place is really lovely and I'm sure you'll have a fab time, so tempted to go back this year but there are so many other places to visit but I'm sure we'll return soon. Skala and Kefalonia are just perfect for a relaxing holiday, also I'd recommend a trip over to Ithaca which is stunning, you can book a boat trip that leaves from Skala beach.

Enjoy!!

Norwich
Level Contributor
4 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skala on Sunday!

See you there! We are flying from Stansted on Sunday arriving early afternoon and then have the transfer to Crystal Palace. We have both recently retired and our daughter booked us this holiday as a thank you for her wedding last year.

If you are renting a car - Greekstones in Skala are highly recommended on several blogs. I sent them an email Friday evening and they rang me Saturday morning and arranged to deliver the car to CP on Monday morning. They give a good discount for May bookings.

england
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skala on Sunday!

Lucky you for going on the first flight of the year!!!

You will have an amazing time, it is a wonderful place to holiday.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
50 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skala on Sunday!

Hi Huggybecky,

You will enjoy Skala, especially Crystal Palace resort its lovely.

I would recommend Galeria resteraunt - go up the high street and about half way up is a road off to your left - the resteraunt is down there. Really very good food.

Also, Nick's special cocktail at Crystal Palace is to be recommended...lovely.

When we were there in September there were a couple of cats around, 2 of which where kittens, be interested to hear when you get back if they are still there, they were very cute (one black and white one, one grey and white one).

Also, if Nick is doing his BBQ night then thats to be recommended as well

Have a great holiday

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
541 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Skala on Sunday!

Hi Huggybecky.

We are off to Crystal Palace June/July. 1st visit here but 7th time to Skala.

Greekstones for car hire is a must. We usually eat at Aquarius. Flamingo. Paspalis. Pantheon as first choices but others we have tried have not disappointed. Be sure to let us know how you get on. We love the place.

John

Get answers to your questions about Skala
Recent Conversations