We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cephalonia

Cumbria
Level Contributor
74 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Cephalonia

Hi, Going to Skala next Sunday ,i ve heard that there are only two ATMS in Skala. Im not sure whether to take a pre loaded card from the post office , traveller cheques or just hope the ATMS are working. Can any one please advise. Thank you - GS301179

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cephalonia

Why would the ATMs not be working?

Cumbria
Level Contributor
74 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cephalonia

Just because Its what people are saying on other forums that sometimes they dont work or run out of cash. Please sensible replys only. Many Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cephalonia

In case you've not noticed, I've not given you a reply. Still, since I'm the only person who's posted so far, I'm assuming your comment re: sensible "replys" is a dig about my post.

I've never known an ATM not working - in Greece or anywhere else in Europe. I figured it was worth finding out what your concern re: ATMs was before replying.

I'm not clairvoyant, neither is anyone else in this forum.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Cumbria
Level Contributor
74 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cephalonia

Grow up .

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cephalonia

Hi. Sensible reply here. I have been to skala 6 times and sure enough there were times when the ATM was not working. Only used to be one on the high street but there are 2 now so you should be OK.

Luckily we had a car and went to Poros and also got cashed up when we went to Argostoli.

Enjoy your hols

John

Mentioned in this post
Poros
Poros
Cephalonia, Greece
Newhaven, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cephalonia

I presume its like anywhere you go,occasionally an ATM might not be working but im sure in the holiday season with everyone in the same boat there will be somewhere to withdraw money else the place would grind to a halt.

I think there are quit a few ATM's on the Island and you can always pay in resturants and shops by card till you get cash maybe!

Lancashire, UK
Level Contributor
355 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cephalonia

The ATM's in Skala haven't always been the most reliable, especially when there was just the one. However now there's 2 I would imagine you would be pretty unlucky for both of them to be out of order at the same time.

We tend to take cash with us and just take the cards for emergencies. As well as the possibility of the ATM's not working I object to being charged to withdraw my own money!!

Hope this helps - where in Skala are you staying??

Cheers

Tracey

Cumbria
Level Contributor
74 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cephalonia

We are stopping at the Paspalis Hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Paspalis Hotel
Paspalis Hotel
441 Reviews
Cephalonia, Greece
Lancashire, UK
Level Contributor
355 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cephalonia

We stayed there a couple of years ago - it's a nice hotel and in a lovely setting.

I'd recommend trying the food there; last time we eat there it was really good.

Hope you have a great time - 20 days til we go (not that i'm counting!!!)

Cheers

Tracey

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cephalonia

We found the 2 ATM's were fine most of the time, but one time in high season there was no money, the next day it was fine again.

You should have no problems using the pre-loaded cards from the Post Office, but I happen to know that the 2 best rates normally on the High Street are Thomas Cook (no commission to buy or to bring back), followed by Marks & Spencer. Usuallly Post Office rate is quite a bit less than those two. Marks & Spencer's update their rates at around 9am and Thomas Cook wait until around 11 to see what M&s rate is and then undercut them mostly.

Hope that helps you. :-)

Get answers to your questions about Skala
Recent Conversations