We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire- maps of island

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
179 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
car hire- maps of island

Do all hire companies supply a map of the island?

thanks

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
923 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire- maps of island

Hi

Not sure if all hire companies supply a map but Greekstones certainly have whenever we have hired with them.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Fiscardo
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire- maps of island

Hi

In our experience they do.

A few years ago when we expressed our surprise that a road which had only just opened was shown on the map at the begining of the season we were told that they were legally obliged to provide a map and that it had to be up to date.

We had bought the latest edition of Road Editions map before going that same year. Although people rave over them we found it not as up to date and generally not as user friendly as the one we were given.

London
Level Contributor
88 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire- maps of island

CBR gave us a map a couple of weeks ago. Not the most in depth map, but got us around the island easily enough-even with my map reading!!

Manchester
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire- maps of island

We were given a road map each time we hired a car over the many years we have been there so I think it is a resounding yes to your answer.

Devon
Level Contributor
303 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire- maps of island

Yes but all are fairly basic but adequete

Manchester
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire- maps of island

Yes so are the roads. (no really, they are ok. Just remember to drive on the correct side of the road)

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire- maps of island

venus rent a car give a good airplanes addition map. with all updated roads

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car hire- maps of island

Yes I think they do. Greekstones gave a good map. But if you want to buy one separately, can I suggest Orama 303 which I found excellent on my last trip to Kefalonia in June/July. However be aware that it still shows the Drapano bridge in Argostoli as being open to all traffic.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,355 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car hire- maps of island

I have generally found that car hire companies give maps that are adequate for reaching tourist sites. For the more adventurous then buy the best map you can.

I have finally settled on a hiking and touring map produced by Anavasi.

I found it accidently in a tourist shop in Argostoli. It has footpaths marked, contour lines as well as petrol stations and is on a scale of 1:65,000. It is also on waterprood and rip-proof paper!! It is available from Amazon etc. I love it!!

Its ISBN no. is 978-960-9412-13-1. On the Anavasi website they say you can download their maps but that is beyond me!

Whatever map you choose make sure it is up to date. Look at a road through the mountains (not the coast road) from just north of Argostoli towards Myrtos Beach. If it is not shown as a main asphalt road then the map is at least 3 year out of date!

Mentioned in this post
Myrtos Beach
Myrtos Beach
3,005 Reviews
Cephalonia, Greece
10. Re: car hire- maps of island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 20:16