We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skala to Myrtos Beach

Which Skala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Skala to Myrtos Beach

Hi

We are returning to Skala in Spetember. Last time we went we hired a car and explored a bit, finding Myrtos beach.

We would love to go back but don't want the hassle of hiring a car again.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Does anyone know how much a taxi would be?

Thanks

Kim

Cheshire
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Skala to Myrtos Beach

Taxis from Skala to Myrtos for 2 would be expensive - 120 Euros return minimum, for a 3 hour return trip.

I wouldn't make that choice, it is not a sensible decision.

Economically you could hire a taxi for 8-10 people, split the cost between you and do a day trip Skala to Myrtos, but you'd have to find people to share it with you.

Personally i'd hire an open top jeep from PEFANIS Travel & Rent A Car :

www.pefanis-carhire.com/en/info/location

SKALA - 26710 83276

(Located in central Skala just off the high street).

www.pefanis-carhire.com/en/contacts/index

Pefanis will drop the car off at the airport or your hotel on the first day of hire and collect it on the last.

Why hire a car from Pefanis in Skala?

(1) Pefanis has comprehensive insurance on its cars and not 3rd party.

Make sure you check this information before hiring.

Don't hire a vehicle with 3rd party insurance- its just not worth it.

The man who runs Pefanis in central Skala is a gentlemen who makes sure cars are collected and delivered on time.

It is always wise to photograph your car hire vehicle and your petrol indicator before leaving on your road trip so that you've got proof of the condition of the vehicle before leaving on your trip.

Make sure your vehicle is returned with the same amount of petrol, on its return to avoid any surcharges.

There is a petrol station located on the outskirts of Skala, and one in central Poros. If you go to Myrtos, fill up in Poros before returning to Skala.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skala to Myrtos Beach

Hi there

One day's car hire will be about a third or a quarter the cost of a taxi plus you can use the car to visit other places after you've been to Myrtos. Even factoring in the cost of petrol makes it a fraction of the cost of a taxi, which of course, you'd have to ask to wait for you whilst you spent your time at the beach.

Each to their own but I would hire a regular car and not an open top one. Reasons include that driving with the roof off, even in September, can cause serious sunburn. With the breezes whistling past you , you won't even realise how strong the sun can be. A car with a fixed roof and aircon is much more comfortable, and is more secure should you decide to leave the car for a walkabout, and there's virtually nowhere on the island that needs a 4 X 4 to reach, unless you intend taking to dirt roads.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,904 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skala to Myrtos Beach

If your car hire is only for a Myrtos trip then I go along with GB and would have hard top standard car with air con.

The problem with hiring a car for one day and going to Myrtos is that, if it turns out windy, then unless you are a very strong swimmer it is foolhardy to go in the sea.

I also think the cafe/bar is over rated and over priced.

I would prefer to look at Myrtos from a viewpoint on the road above but swim at Antisamos (just outside Sami.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
6 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skala to Myrtos Beach

Myrtos! Been there and wouldn't bother going again as I thought it unsafe - if not downright dangerous in any sort of wind. I was a diver/instructor.

If you want alternatives then go to Assos and swim around the bay or to Antisamos. (Don't miss the Castro ruins of ancient Sami) If you are snorkelling then head towards Poros and stop by the unusual rocks just 3 miles away from Skala.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skala to Myrtos Beach

Hi again

I have to agree with Bob and say that the best view and experience of Myrtos beach is from way up high. Once down on the beach it often disappoints people. I'm a strong swimmer but I wouldn't consider swimming at Myrtos, as there are fierce undertows. Antisamos beach is fine, much safer as long as you don't mind the pebbles.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skala to Myrtos Beach

Have to add my thoughts about Myrtos Beach. Stunningly beautiful when looking down from above but would not swim there. I was so pleased with the photo I took from the road above it is now the wallpaper on my computer. Assos on the other hand would be my preference and is one place I would swim.

Edited: 31 December 2012, 10:45
Cheshire
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Skala to Myrtos Beach

Myrtos beach sand is white in colour and very effective at reflecting the sun.

Make sure you apply a high protection factor suncream before sunbathing on it. Limit your stay, the sun's rays can be very intense on the beach.

I've driven around Kefalonia with open top jeeps and closed air conditioned vehicles.

Open top jeeps with roofs are excellent when the skies are blue, the sun not too intense, the winds calm and minimal chance of rain.

Air circulates well in them, you dont sweat as much as you do in small Kefalonian hire cars with poor air con, the experience is visually more open.

Edited: 02 January 2013, 22:58
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skala to Myrtos Beach

Well, each to their own but in 20 years of hiring cars all over Greece, I've never encountered one with "poor aircon". In the past couple of years, I've rented small cars like the Peugeot 107, Toyota Aygo and Hyundai Getz and all have had first rate aircon, certainly never made me "sweat" in them at all.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,904 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skala to Myrtos Beach

Agreed GB!

I however do like the more views you get with the open top and higher position with a 4x4. I can also drive up Mount Ainos from the north and down to the south east!

In September I will get a 4x4 but if I go in July or August it would be a standard car with aircon.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Skala to Myrtos Beach

GB, remember Skala in 2007 when the Kefalonia fires were raging?

Temperatures were consistently in the late 30's and 40's.

Taxi drivers were bitterly complaning about the heat.

We hired a small air conditioned car to drive around Kefalonia, it couldnt cope with 45C.

We ended up fleeing our hotel in Skala as the fires approached from 3 directions.

We ended up sleeping on Poros beach until we were given the all clear to return.

Many Greek hire cars have perfectly acceptable aircon, but not all hire cars do, all of the time.

Some times extreme weather occurs in Greece.

When it does the air con on some small cars struggles to cope.

Edited: 12 May 2013, 23:10
Get answers to your questions about Skala
Recent Conversations