We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running - yeah I know lol

Sunderland
Level Contributor
41 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Running - yeah I know lol

Hi seen a few comments about walks so I assume there will be some good trails to run on. Thinking maybe an easy run (lots of water) lunch and a bus/taxi back???? We're travelling in Sept. Also what's the dress code our first time in Skala but assuming its casual? Thank all

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Running - yeah I know lol

Hi Mrs D,

It is still quite hot in early September. I cannot think of any good trails to run. The roads will be quiet(ish) in September but footpaths on the island tend to be a collection of signs rather than a nicely made up track. (Footpaths in the towns are ok obviously!).

How are you on beach running? If you are prepared to get your feet wet at a couple of points you could stick to the coast and make your way West to Katelios. Alternatively possibly the coast road and beach North to Poros.

I don't know how fit you are but you could run up to Old Skala. It is only 3 or 4 Km but nearly all uphill.

The big problem is getting back from any of these places. It would have to be taxi and from Old Skala you would almost certainly have to phone for one from Skala. Buses on the island are not really a viable alternative. They are run for the locals not tourists.

Dress code on the island is fairly relaxed. Day time, shorts type clothing except obviously when visiting a monastery or church. Evenings fellows tend to wear shorts or trousers with something a bit smarter than a T shirt. Females tend to wear skirt with reasonable top or a casual dress. You can see I don't usually write about dress!!

Hope this helps a bit

Bob

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
836 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Running - yeah I know lol

Hi have fun with the running! Dress code is definately casual. As Bob says shorts and tee-shirt in the day and smart shorts and tee-shirt/shirt in the evening I wear long shorts and a nice top or skirt/dress. Jeans however would be fine also but we go in August so very hot!!! Can't wait!

Level Contributor
199 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Running - yeah I know lol

Hi Mrs D,

If you want to try something in between the beach run option and the more challenging old Skala up hill option then you could run a shorter 'circuit'

There is a 'high road' that runs above new Skala and as well as the exercise you would experience some fantastic views!

It wouldn't be a particularly long run but there's a 100% chance of refreshments as you repeat the run along the beach (and you wouldn't need to worry about taxis and buses)

Previous posts are spot on with the dress code as being smarter casual in the evenings (it's very relaxed)

As the dining out in the evenings is such a big part of the holiday for me, I have also opted for a more glam dress approach on occasion (with dressy heels) as opposed to maxi skirt/dress (and flatties) and I've never felt out of place (whatever you're most comfortable in)

Happy Holidaying in Skala

Sunderland
Level Contributor
41 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Running - yeah I know lol

Thanks Bob beach sounds nice idea. Take a plunge as well if we get too hot :)

Staines, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Running - yeah I know lol

What is the dress code for evening meals at the Mareblue Apostalata in Skala. Do men have to wear smart trousers, or are jeans ok? Or shorts?

6. Re: Running - yeah I know lol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Skala
Recent Conversations