We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating Out (Evenings)

Cheddleton, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Eating Out (Evenings)

Hi All

I just wondered if anyone could advise. Our hotel puts on a shuttle bus into town at 6pm and 9pm each evening. 6 is a bit early for us, so I was wondering what time generally people tend to eat in the evening in the tavernas in Skala. Would 9pm be a good/average time people are out eating??

Mentioned in this post
Skala
Skala
Cephalonia, Greece
Gillingham, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating Out (Evenings)

HI trentham

I guess its down to personal choice, for me 6pm is still a little too hot to eat a big meal, not that it cools down drastically later in the evening!

9pm would be about right for us and as the restaurants are usually busy I'd guess many others would agree!!

You could always take the early bus & have a nice relaxing drink at one of the bars before dinner if 9pm is too late to eat for you? You dont mention which hotel you are staying at but taxis are also available and reasonably priced into town, just make sure you agree the fare beforehand :)

Have a great time!

Cheddleton, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating Out (Evenings)

Thanks for your advice :-) I think leisurely drinks at 6 beforehand sounds like a plan. We will be staying at the San Giorgio Hotel which is a little further out, hence the free shuttle bus they put on. 6pm and 9pm are odd times to me though. I would have thought 7 and 8 would be better - but when in Greece and all that!! x

Edited: 26 June 2013, 09:05
Mentioned in this post
San Giorgio
San Giorgio
1,196 Reviews
Cephalonia, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating Out (Evenings)

I usually eat after 9pm when in Kefalonia at the height of summer - it's just that little bit cooler then for a hot meal. But I've often seen families with young children eating early around 6pm in the tavernas in Skala so maybe that's the reason for the earlier shuttle bus? I have eaten earlier than 9pm though - when I've been staying further out of Skala and wanted to drive back to my accommodation before dark for example. The tavernas are certainly usually quieter if you eat earlier around 7 or 8pm rather than waiting until 9pm. But it's just personal choice really. Whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Edited: 26 June 2013, 09:11
Mentioned in this post
Skala
Skala
Cephalonia, Greece
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating Out (Evenings)

At resorts in Kefalonia we have found that most people tend to wander into restaurants/tavernas around 800 -9.30.

At home we eat around 7.00 and so the first day with the two hour time difference it makes no difference and we soon slip into the local habits

Some people would go into town earlier, have a drink or two at a cafe/bar and "people watch" before dining.

Enjoy whenever you eat

Bob

PS I started writing this half hour ago but was interrupted so apologies if I have duplicated suggestions

Edited: 26 June 2013, 09:15
Cheddleton, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating Out (Evenings)

I think 9pm is a nice time to eat. After a day by the pool or sightseeing, I love a bit of time back at the room (in the air con!) having a shower, just chilling out (maybe a little lazy siesta!!), so I think going out later would probably suit me better, when its a bit more bustling.

Devon
Level Contributor
303 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating Out (Evenings)

Will be gussing your staying at San Giorgio. A good choice may I add, have stayed there the past 5 years. 9pm is a very popular time though people will start to eat around 7.30 with it getting steadier busier throughout the evening then tailing off around 10.30 ish, though the restaurants do stay open for business way after this time. Enjoy and say hi to my very good friend Makis behind the bar at San Giorgio!

Mentioned in this post
San Giorgio
San Giorgio
1,196 Reviews
Cephalonia, Greece
Makis Hotel
Makis Hotel
403 Reviews
Cephalonia, Greece
UK
Level Contributor
600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating Out (Evenings)

we keep the kids on English time all holiday and usually eat around 7.00 greek time.. when we are leaving restaurants around 9.00 there are lots of people coming in. I agree that 6.00 is too hot!.. nice for a cocktail though

Cheddleton, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating Out (Evenings)

Oh....I can't wait!!!!!!

Rhondda Cynon Taff...
Level Contributor
231 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating Out (Evenings)

we tend to still be on the beach or around the pool at 6 , so we always eat around 9pm . I'm really looking forward to trying the different restaurants, love Greek food.

Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating Out (Evenings)

We normally eat about 8.30, sleep after pool then a couple of drinks (happy hour) before heading off to a tavana. Finish off in a bar about 11 then bed :-). A lot will depend how tired you are, the heat takes it out of me so I need my siesta.

Get answers to your questions about Skala
Recent Conversations