We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat trips near to the Tesoro Blu Hotel

Which Skala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Boat trips near to the Tesoro Blu Hotel

Hi,

Booking a week at the Tesoro Blu Hotel & Spa as a surprise for my fiance's 30th, We are going on the 2nd May 2014.

I have two concerns, firstly he is fairly active, likes to go for walks, explore a little etc.. he isn't one for just sitting around the pool all day, every day. That being said, I know he'd like a couple of days just relaxing. Is there much to do near here? Boat trips etc..

Secondly, if there are boat trips available, will they be available in the First week of May, or is it too early in the season?

Thanks in advance.

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat trips near to the Tesoro Blu Hotel

Capt Vengalis boats by Annassa hotel on the beach front if he is doing trips they will be advertised. He will be able to walk down into the village explore the roman ruins.

he could walk up to old Skala as well. you could hire a car for a few days and get out and about.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat trips near to the Tesoro Blu Hotel

Hi JOHNOR1 and welcome,

It is possibly a bit early for the boat trips but if the planes are flying in, who knows!!

I would go for hiring a car for as long as you can afford. This year, a week later than you, we hired a car for eight days for 144 euros. If transfer is not included the taxi from the airport to Skala costs about 50 euros each wa,y so if you had a car for the duration and hired it to collect from, and return to, the airport it would not be much more.

Most companies will deliver to the airport free of charge. Look at Pefanis, Greekstones, Venus car hire for starters.

Apart from the walks mentioned by nannasuej there are signposted walks around Spathi (nearby), Mount Ainos (a drive away), Along the coast beyond Poros (a short drive away)

For a really good exploration there is a waterfall in the hills between Skala and Poros that was discussed on these forums earlier this year and I can send you details if you wish!

How is that for starters!!

Happy planning

Bob

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat trips near to the Tesoro Blu Hotel

Thank you so much, it all sounds great.

Is there any way I could find out for definite if the boat trips are on when i'm there? May have to push the date back a bit if they are not, as it's something I know he would love.

I would be the one driving if we hired a car, how are the roads? I think i'd be a little nervous and would probably get lost!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat trips near to the Tesoro Blu Hotel

Hi again,

This is a link to Captain Vangelis site. There should be an email address or phone number on the site. www.kefalonia.net.gr/en/infoidmini.asp…

When you pick up a hire car you get a map that covers all the island and all the roads a first timer needs!

Road signs are usually in English as well as Greek.

The roads are quiet outside Argostoli (especially in May!)

The roads are about the same standard as ordinary A roads in the UK. Some good some with potholes!

Greek drivers are not as bad as some people make out, however they are on their way to work so just let them pass.

It doesn't matter if you get lost. Make it part of the fun of the holiday!

Happy planning

Bob

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat trips near to the Tesoro Blu Hotel

Hi! As Bob says, it's very easy to hire a car. Greekstones, Pefanis, CBR and Venus are all good companies known to me personally but I've never yet heard a bad word about any of the car hire companies out there. Make sure you get full insurance that covers the underside of the car and a collision damage waiver too. I advise booking in advance during July and August but in May you should be ok. Each company has a website so just contact them via email and they will give you a quote. You will need to take your UK driving licence and your passport with you when hiring the car.

Driving is easy on Kefalonia. Compared with the UK there is very little traffic, and the nearest thing you will find to a traffic jam outside Argostoli is a herd of goats blocking the road! Remember to drive on the right of course, and if you do go into Argostoli also remember that unlike the UK, Greek law says you must give way to those joining a roundabout. The only roundabouts on the island to my knowledge are those going into Argostoli. Most road signs are in English as well as Greek, but you soon learn to read the Greek and can take a good guess at it. The most up to date road map is by Anavasi who have just produced a 2013 version of Kefalonia. But the car hire companies usually give you a free basic road map too. Speed limit is 30 kph through the villages.

I tend to use TomTom Greece on my iPhone to warn me in advance of sharp bends in the dark at night, but that's just me being over-careful.

We all here highly recommend hiring a car, as buses are not that frequent. Kefalonia is a beautiful island and the drive through the mountains from Poros to Sami, for example, is spectacular.

With regards to the boat trips, again as Bob says it is best to email Captain Vangeli. He did start the trips earlier this year in May as he realised tourists were beginning to arrive and - from memory - ran them 3 days a week in early season. But I'm guessing it depends how many people are around who want to go on the trips as his large boat Mythos needs to carry at least 40 people just to cover the cost of the fuel, before taking into account crew wages, insurance, maintenance, running costs etc. Also it will of course depend on the sea conditions at the time. But they are certainly worth going on - the Ithaki trip is my favourite.

Have a fantastic time on this stunningly beautiful island!

Edited: 30 September 2013, 08:47
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat trips near to the Tesoro Blu Hotel

Have look at this link for a guide to driving in Kefalonia!

http://www.golinggreek.info/driving.htm

Bob

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat trips near to the Tesoro Blu Hotel

Ooops!

This is the correct link!

http://www.goinggreek.info/driving.html

Somehow a "l" crept into the first link!! Sorry

Bob

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat trips near to the Tesoro Blu Hotel

Thank you everyone, your help is much appreciated.

I have tried to email Captain Vangelis several times, but the email keeps getting rejected.

I am booking the holiday tomorrow with Thomsons, I have decided to book it so that we depart on 8th May. Do you think that there's a chance that the cruises will be running at any point between 9th and 13th May, if not with Captain Vangelis then with Thomsons? I just don't think my partner would enjoy himself without a boat trip exploring the island. He loves that type of thing.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boat trips near to the Tesoro Blu Hotel

If Thomsons are running it from Skala then it is almost certain they are using Captain Vangelis anyway.

I have found an email address on a Captain Vangelis leaflet. Don't know if it is the same.

spathisv@otenet.gr

These phone numbers +306972693260 or +306980386744 (they were on the leaflet without the +30 so I hope that is correct!)

Bob

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boat trips near to the Tesoro Blu Hotel

Love that GoingGreek link Bob! LOL

Get answers to your questions about Skala
Recent Conversations