We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possible?

Level Contributor
180 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Is it possible?

Hi everyone!

Just thinking about where to visit on our trip to kefalonia in August!

We are staying in Skala and will be hiring a car for 2-3 days, this will be the first time we've ever driven abroad!

We would really like to visit messalini (sp) lakes and anti Samos beach, is it possible to do this in one day? Would you add anything else to this day?

We are thinking of just exploring different parts of the island on other days! Any recommendations are very welcome!

Thanks Sophie x

UK
Level Contributor
879 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it possible?

There are so many other fab places to visit including Assos and Fiscardo. An evening visit into Argostoli is also a great experience.

Be careful at the three roundabouts on the new dual carriageway leading in/out of Argostoli if you happen to come in/go out this way. Unlike in the UK, and unique to Greece, cars entering the roundabout have the right of way rather than stopping. If therefore you are going around the roundabout then you need to stop as you go around to let cars enter.

Absolute madness but that's just how it is. The problem comes when locals meet tourists! Both have the exact opposite understanding of how to drive around the roundabout. If you do decide to stop when entering then be careful the local in the car behind you doesn't run into the back of you 'cos their foot will be on the accelerator!

My advice is just to slow right down and cross your fingers! (the passengers, not the drivers!)

Best of luck...SJL

Level Contributor
180 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it possible?

Oh my!! I'm a little concerned now! Maybe we can find an alternative route?!

Or maybe the coach is a better idea!

Thank you for your advice though, I will pass on to my other half and see what he says, I'm sure he'll think it's rather fun!

Thanks x

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
13,966 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it possible?

Whilst I agree with SJL re the roundabouts.............they're few and far between on the island to be honest other than the capital Argostoli. But it's the most quiet Greek island we've ever driven on, even in the popular month of September we often drove miles and miles without seeing another car on the road !

Have a look at this which might give you some pointers www.goinggreek.info/driving.html I would say most people hire a car to get around because it's so easy and laid back as long as you don't expect to hit any major speeds :)

Edited: 18 April 2014, 20:50
Level Contributor
180 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it possible?

Thank you for your messages, other half is still very keen to drive, so I think we will still be hiring a car!

Thank you for the link! It's very helpful and made me laugh a few times!!

Just can't wait to be there now! Xx

Workington, United...
Level Contributor
747 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it possible?

doing that trip is fine do the lake by mid morning before the buses arrive, lunch in sami then to a beach, but in august I would think the beaches are busy, we tried to go to anti-samos one afternoon in june and was chock a block .the drive to the lake from skala will be about 40 min. another trip to do is to assos for coffee, fisicardo for lunch and call into agni egfemi (spelling?) on the way back to watch the yacth flotilla's trying to park their boats, while having a drink then back to skala, longish day but well worth it, imo. if you drive none stop to fisicardo its about 1 1/2 hours, that's why I suggest stops, the driving is no bother but may be busier in august we normally do june or September.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it possible?

Hi,

Hiring a car in Skala means you are unlikely to meet a roundabout unless you drive into Argostoli. The drive to Sami is great! For Melissani cave the best lighting is around noon but the quietest time is as soon as it opens which I think is about 9:30.. For Antisamos beach try to avoid weekend as that is when it is most crowded because of locals.

Have a great time

Bob

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it possible?

Hi Sophie. It is possible, but why the rush. Remember you will be on GMT when you are there (Greek Maybe Time) :)

The Melissani caves are ok, but if there is low water, you can't get very far into them. You can also visit the Drogarati caves, lots of steps to go down (and back up), but the stalactites and stalagmites are fantastic. It can be a bit chilly in the caves, so take a top with you.

Remember in August it is HOT on the island, and busy. Not traffic jams as we know them, but there can be delays. Set out early when heading for Sami, and beat the rush. Try and get to the St Gerassimos monastery and if you are brave enough, go down to the cave he lived in for 5 years. If you go into the inner chamber, and come out without any dirt marks on your clothes, then legend has it that your soul is clean

There is ;lots to do and see on Kefalonia, and if this is your first trip, hire a car for longer.

Pre book and you will get a better rate. If you want peace of mind, take out damage insurance excess cover here in the UK (www.thexscovercompany.com/‎)

Try this web site for details on the monastery

agni.gr/kefalonia_travel_guide/…

And for everything on Kefalonia, http://www.kefaloniatravel.com/

Enjoy the trip

Martyn

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it possible?

Using phone so message abrupt!!

Google St Gerasimo if you are there Aug. 16th.

All other days monastery closed afternoons. If you hire car from Pefanis or Greekstones or some others no need for extra insurance. Everything covered!! Check terms and conditions.

Never seen jam on road from Skala to Sami except when goats on road !!

Bob

9. Re: Is it possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Skala
Recent Conversations