We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
money

can you change up travellers cheques ok in scala

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money

To be honest Travellers Cheques are most definitely a thing of the past..........in fact most European resorts won't touch them now due to so much fraudulent activity around TC's. There are ATM's in the resort so a cash card is best and a little cash to get you started or get yourself a pre-paid card that you pre-load and withdraw on whilst on holiday. I can recommend the Caxton FX card which is frequently at No. 1 in the league tables ........... more info here moneysupermarket.com/prepaid-cards/euros/…

UK
Level Contributor
919 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money

Agree with Miss_Chief

Cash, cash point cards and pre-loaded cards seem to be the preferred option these days. Click link below for alternatives and best rates.

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

Enjoy your hols. SJL

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,685 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money

Hi Dave,

Yup! Travellers cheques are now history in Europe. There are three ATMs in Skala as well as one at the airport if you need it. Ask your bank what they charge for using ATMs abroad as it usually makes more sense to withdraw say, 300euros in one go rather than three lots of 100euros. The ATMs will generally not charge anything.

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money

I too use a Caxton FX debit card preloaded with Euros before I leave the UK. Much better rate of exchange than your own bank and no withdrawal fees. If lost or stolen, report to Caxton and it will be covered. I've never had a problem using it at any ATM on the island.

uk
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money

Hi Dave, although travellers cheques don't seem to be as popular now, we were able to change them in Skala at the CBR office no problem at all.

Hope this helps

Lesley

Fairford, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money

I have just ordered a FairFX card. This too has come out well in the moneysavingexpert reviews. If your put on your application that this is where you saw it advertised the joining fee is waived. I also noted the exchange rate I got was better that what came up on the comparison site.

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: money

Do FairFX still use MasterCard for their transactions? Is there a MasterCard logo on their cards? I ask because I had one 4 years ago & had problems using it to withdraw cash in Skala. Ended up having to go to Alpha Bank in Poros and withdraw there. I was informed there were problems with MasterCard withdrawals at the time. I switched to CaxtonFX who use the Visa system & haven't had any problems since. I've no idea if the problems with MasterCard FairFX withdrawals still exist.

8. Re: money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Skala
Recent Conversations