We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 week old in Greece in July

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
8 week old in Greece in July

Have people been in the heat with very young babies? We are spending ten days in Kefalonia in late July with an 8 week old and a 21 month old. Any tips on how to enjoy the holiday and keep the babies safe?

UK
Level Contributor
899 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 week old in Greece in July

We have done this; you are certainly going at one of the hottest time of the year!

We took one of those pop up tents for the beach that is UV resistant. Very useful as it not only keeps the rays off them but also creates a sand free area. We also placed an umbrella over it to keep it even cooler.

We didn't use the all-in-one costumes as we felt that the kids could get even hotter in these once they have dried out.

Avoid 2.00pm to 4.00pm on the beaches in particular as this is when the sun seems to be at it's hottest.

Most Greeks come down to the beach with their children at around 5.00pm when there is normally a nice cooling breeze and the heat of the sun has reduced.

We also took a cool bag every day. We used frozen water bottles to keep everything cool. We took loads of fruit which was nicely chilled by the water bottles.

I'm sure that your kids will have a great time; ours did...SJL

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 week old in Greece in July

That is very helpful, thank you. Brilliant practical tips. We always knew we were going to have to work around the heat and know the extreme temperatures it can get to so having ideas on how to get through the day is crucial! I think our beach time will be early morning when they wake and break once the heat gets higher, then again in the evenings.

I've started my shopping list and have no doubt the girls will love it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

UK
Level Contributor
591 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 week old in Greece in July

We took our son at 11 weeks old.. We were staying in a villa so he could sleep inside in the aircon in the day .. He loved a dip in the pool and pretty much slept under an umbrella on the beach . In the evening he slept in his buggy whilst we ate.. Oh and we took his car seat with us.. Airlines let you have a buggy and car seat on the hold for free..

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 week old in Greece in July

Great to hear positive stories, thank you! That is the image I've been hoping for!

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 week old in Greece in July

make sure you cover the babies feet with plenty suncream as when pushing a buggy bare feet soon burn. we always freeze couple bottles water and put in cool bag, Also give them plenty water or lightly diluted squash so they dont dehaydrate. Insect net may be good for baby buggie

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 week old in Greece in July

Will do, thanks for the tips.

7. Re: 8 week old in Greece in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Skala
Recent Conversations