We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taverna at Old Skala

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
513 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Taverna at Old Skala

We set off today to have a frappe in Skala & to then go on to the taverna at Old Skala which everyone raves about. We started off quite well following the signs for Old Skala but then seemed to go wrong big style, missed Old Skala completely & ended up having lunch in Katelios which although very pleasant was not what I had looked forward to.

I suppose it didn't help as we didn't take the map or the name of the taverna & the signs for Old Skala ran out.

We won't be able to fit it in on this trip, but would like to go when we come back in August/ September.

Can anyone give us 'full proof' instructions please?

Thanks.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,546 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taverna at Old Skala

Hi Birds29, Others may have better suggestions but here goes! 14 months ago I drove up with my brother and as far as I can remember this was the route:- Up the Main Street out of Skala (it wasn't pedestrianized then!). We sort of turned left onto another fairly main road. We went straight over a X roads where the right (I think) went into an old quarry area. Quickly after that were a couple of sharp bends. Then we turned right and soon left onto a road that was tarmacked but falling to bits (it worried my brother!). Then we turned right to the taverna!

We talked to the owner who said the road was worse than last year and gave us another route down:- Out of the taverna, down the slope and turn right to Fanies, part of this road has been refurbished and has concrete "foundations" on the left. Then sharp right to Ratzakli. You will see away on your left the road with the concrete foundations. Then you reach the main Sami - Katelios road.

My explanation is partly from memory and partly map work. I am sure one of the others will give more concise instructions.

We did have the satnav on "map" to see where we were and a paper map to see where we were trying to get!

Hope this helps a bit.

Bob

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
513 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taverna at Old Skala

Thanks Bob

Will let you know how we get on when we attempt lunch in September.

Fiona

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,546 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taverna at Old Skala

might even see you there!

Leeds
Level Contributor
119 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taverna at Old Skala

Hi Bob.. We are going to Skala in September I didn't realise there was an old Skala, is it worth a visit..

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,546 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taverna at Old Skala

Hi Alison,

The original Skala was destroyed in the 1953 earthquake. It is now called "Old Skala". The villagers relocated to the beach area and built a new village/town.

Old Skala was left as just the ruins of both buildings and some machinery. However there is now a taverna there as well as some new villas that are mostly just for visitors.

It is worth a visit if you are interested in ruins of old houses and churches etc. You can drive there or walk. I would not walk up there and back in July or August or even the first week or so of September. Many people take a taxi one way. I would take the taxi up and walk back even if it meant I had not earned the drink at the taverna! The last bit of the drive is quite narrow but ok (well, it was last year!).

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Old+Skala&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=KYK5U8vwEMLG7Ab3yIC4CA&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=976&bih=444

If this link does not work, I just googled "Old Skala" Images

I have a slim paperback that I bought from the taverna about 5 years ago but I don't know if any more copies exist. It was called "OLD SKALA. Memories of the Earthquakes of 1953." it was self published (I think) by Jean Baker in 2007. One of the acknowledgements is to "Maya and Andreas Zapantis". There is an advert at the back of the book from "Maya's" a gift shop. Perhaps she still sells it. It is a really interesting, if sad little book

Bob

Leeds
Level Contributor
119 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taverna at Old Skala

Thanks bob.. we do like old buildings and the history of a place.. so we will go and have a look..

Ali..

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
513 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taverna at Old Skala

I think it was Jean Baker's book which was on sale in Solomos supermarket in Skala & my husband says it was E3.50.

8. Re: Taverna at Old Skala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Skala