We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather concerns?!

Which Skala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Weather concerns?!

Hi all,

Me and my partner are travelling to Skala on Sunday (31st) :) eeeee!

However, we have looked at the weather forecast for next week (w/c 1st Sept) and it looks pretty stormy and cloudy!!

Does anyone have any idea how accurate the weather forecast is for Skala and/or does anyone have a local weather forecast? Is it usually stormy in early September?

Fingers are crossed that it is wrong!!!

Thank you!!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,295 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather concerns?!

Hi Milly and welcome,

The weather in September is usually a bit mixed. We have had holidays with no rain at all. The most likely is a few days (over two weeks) with some rain and the possibility of fantastic thunderstorms with impressive lightning over the hills.

The forecasts I have looked at for the island show a couple of days with a possibility of light rain and one with a likelihood of heavy rain.

However the mountains on the island mean that it can be dry in one place and raining in another.

If you are hiring a car it is often easy to drive to a sunny area. Just be aware that the first rains after a dry summer means that the roads are slippery. Not dangerous if you watch your speed but still slippery.

If you do not have a car you could take the bus into Argostoli at 09:00, have a look round at the shops and a museum or two and catch the bus back at 14:30. Check the bus timetables!!

Alternatively if it is raining, the rain will be warm so as you are going to get wet anyway then go for a swim!

Where would you rather be in the rain, sitting in a café/bar in Skala with a Mythos or the same in Leeds with a beer?

Have a great time

Bob

Leeds, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather concerns?!

Thank you so much for the info Bob! Very useful!

Yes we have hired a car and plan to drive around the island a bit so we will chase the sun if we have a bad day!!

You're right, I would definitely rather be in Skala in the rain so I should stop complaining really!!

Thanks for your help - fingers crossed!!

Milly

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather concerns?!

I fly out on the 3rd, and over the past couple of weeks the forecast has ranged from 35c+ to huge thunderstorms, it's now high 20's with the odd chance of rain which is exactly what I will be expecting.

The forecasts tend to be based on the airport or Argostoli, so Skala is about 60km from there so do expect the weather to be different, likewise I'm staying up North so I expect it to be different again.

I will stand by Bobs comment about driving towards the sun if you have a bad day, we have done this a few times over the years, please be careful on wet road they can be VERY slippery.

Enjoy, and don't worry about the weather it will be what it will be :)

Level Contributor
2,945 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather concerns?!

Well it's wrong again 2day!!! Says it's 82, it's 90 not a cloud since we got off plane Sat, lovely hot breeze

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Fiscardo
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather concerns?!

Hi Milly

We go on 2nd Sept and have only had the occasional casual look at any forecasts, the reason being weather is notoriously difficult to predict for the whole of a mountainous island.

With apologies to the regulars who have seen me mention this before, but, a few years ago as we were in the queue waiting to check in to the hotel in Fiscardo when I noticed a print out of the 5 day forecast from the BBC website. It was black cloud, heavy rain and thunderstorms every day! The reality - we had a very light, very brief shower one day, most people didn't bother moving from their sunbeds, otherwise clear blue sky and sunshine every day for 2 weeks.

As Ian says, the weather will be what it will be. If the worse does come to the worse, it doesn't rain in the bars and tavernas!

Have a great time.

Leeds, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather concerns?!

Okay great - feeling much more reassured from all the responses - so thank you everyone!

Can't wait to just get there now!!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,532 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather concerns?!

We are going tomorrow so I am keeping my fingers crossed for good weather. I have just realised that it must be 14 years ago that we last went to Cephalonia as we were there the year that Captain Correlli's Mandolin was filmed.

All packed and off to the airport hotel this evening. Really looking forward to it.

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather concerns?!

Weather is beautiful at the moment - hot, sunny, although quite humid today. Nights are still warm and the sea like bath water. Come on over! :)

UK
Level Contributor
799 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather concerns?!

Has the wind died down Caroline?

Level Contributor
167 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather concerns?!

We have been in skala since Sunday, weather is famtastic so far, lovely and warm in the evenings and hot hot hot in the daytime! The sea is like a bath! It's my first time in skala and on kefalonia and I have absolutely fallen in love with this place!!

Sophie x

Get answers to your questions about Skala
Recent Conversations